From: Raymond Jennings <shentino@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 23:43:09
1 On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Fri, 2 Dec 2016 21:52:57 +0000
4 > "M. J. Everitt" <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
5 >
6 > > On 02/12/16 12:36, Aaron Bauman wrote[excerpted]:
7 > > > On 12/02/2016 09:10 PM, Craig Inches wrote[excerpted]:
8 > > >> I realize I am not a dev, but for awhile I was actively pursuing this
9 > > >> and the situation with Idella4 (who was my mentor) has made me have
10 > > >> second thoughts, from the information I have been able glean about
11 > > >> what occurred, and also the way his retirement was handled cause
12 > > >> confusion and disillusionment with the whole process for me at least
13 > > >> and I think a few non-devs from Proxy-Maint IRC channel feel the same.
14 > > > Please do not let this dissuade you from becoming a Gentoo developer.
15 > > > Despite the current situation and the giant books being written about
16 > > > comrel, council, and others, this is not the norm. Many developers
17 > > > contribute everyday with no interference or thoughts of either. Hell,
18 > I
19 > > > did not even know they existed aside from the quizzes. No one focuses
20 > > > on the good things they have done... that is for sure.
21 > > >
22 > > It may come to some surprise to you (and others) that Craig is not the
23 > > only prospective dev who was somewhat perplexed with the attitude
24 > > towards select Gentoo Devs, who seemed, on the face of it, to be
25 > > actively contributing to the Gentoo project. There were at least six of
26 > > us (if not seven, possibly more) who were actively considering and
27 > > pursuing becoming a Gentoo developer, who all felt that we felt uneasy
28 > > about progression, not helped by the problems of a lack of active
29 > > recruiters and other issues within the Recruiters project, which have
30 > > hopefully now been resolved. There is a mild concern that the only
31 > > remaining recruiter, may have a bias against some of the prospective
32 > > recruits, as having been "tainted" by the former Gentoo Dev who was
33 > > ousted from the Proxy Maintenance project. As non-devs, we have no
34 > > recourse to council to ask for this to be investigated, and we don't
35 > > consider ourselves to have a 'voice' to express our opinions and
36 > > frustrations with the Gentoo 'system' as we observe it. It seems ironic
37 > > that we are unable to influence the procedures that would help us be
38 > > represented, and hence the only outlets we have are the mailing lists
39 > > and third-party platforms. If anyone can suggest the correct course of
40 > > action that any prospective non-dev contributor might have, I'm sure
41 > > there are a few ears who would be interested in the response.
42 >
43 > The first and most important person for a prospective developer is
44 > his/her mentor. If you have a mentor, then by all means talk to him/her
45 > first and he/she'll represent your case to the Council or any
46 > appropriate community members.
49 This actually does bring up a side point I've been curious about.
50
51 Do you need to be a current, or even potential/former developer to have a
52 mentor?
53
54 Can you have a mentor if you're a mere user?
57 > If you don't have a mentor or feel like you need a new one, you can
58 > find (another) one. Just talk to the developers you're interacted with
59 > (we're not all wolves after all, even if we react bluntly to some toxic
60 > people), they can become your mentors or talk to other developers.
61 > There's also #gentoo-proxy-maint that's always open for new developers.
62 > As a last resort, you can send a generic 'I need a mentor' message to
63 > gentoo-dev.
64 >
65 > But don't get unnecessarily involved in those flame wars that serve no
66 > purpose to you. Most of the problems are better resolved peacefully.
67 > And if your worries end up unfounded, it's better not to offend people
68 > publicly, isn't it?
69 >
70 > And please take into consideration that many of us are not native
71 > English speakers. I find your e-mail extremely hard to understand,
72 > and I'm not even sure I got it all right.
73 >
74 > --
75 > Best regards,
76 > Michał Górny