From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 3 April 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:03:02
1 On 03/27/2012 09:03 AM, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > Alternatively, suggest using mdev in place of udev. So, there will be 3
5 > 1) /usr on the same partition as / -- can use mdev or udev
6 >
7 > 2) /usr on a separate partition; this leads to :
8 >
9 > 2a) If one wants to use udev, one must use initramfs
10 >
11 > 2b) If one does not want to use an initramfs, one must use mdev
12
13 I'd leave option 2b undocumented. It's fragile and it will only work up
14 until something else breaks, and then we'll have another big "OMG
15 they're forcing us to use an initramfs" discussion and have to update
16 the documentation again.
17 --
18 Thanks,
19 Zac