From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Killing herds, take two
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2017 21:37:37
Hi, everyone.

While technically we've fully exterminated the herd concept and unified
the whole metastructure into projects, I feel like some people are still
living the herd era. That is, creating projects that are basically
unmanaged groups of packages.

Only today I have disbanded the Forensics project, after being able to
get a clear answer from only member of the project who told me that
the project is not really a project but a group of correlated packages.
The project members only actually maintained a few of them while
the rest laid rotting, hidden behind project maintainer label.

GLEP 39 [1] says clearly:

> A project is a group of developers working towards a goal (or a set > of goals).
In other words, projects are supposed to provide some structure for people to work *together*. Maintaining multiple packages together is a result of that. Projects are not supposed to be used to loosely group packages that the project members are not going to maintain together. Otherwise, this only creates a fake maintainer entry which results in a number of packages being effectively abandoned yet hidden behind the project. So please, if your project only groups packages, and your members only maintain a select few of them each, please disband the project and just take the packages directly. This will reduce the unnecessary bureaucracy, make things more transparent for everyone and let others take the packages you don't care about. TIA. [1]:https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:39 -- Best regards, Michał Górny