From: Benda Xu <heroxbd@g.o>
To: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Making Gentoo more fun
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 06:59:23
1 Hi Daniel,
2
3 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@××××××.org> writes:
4
5 > I have been reflecting on the recently much-broadcasted conflict
6 > between mgorny and zlg, and considering that maybe at the root of it
7 > all, we have a process issue rather than a personal one.
8 >
9 > Consider this -- Gentoo has very little buffer between what is
10 > committed to the Portage tree and what ends up on a user's
11 > system. Because of this, if you are a senior dev on Gentoo, you can
12 > feel some sense of responsibility for breakages that may occur for
13 > users. There generate a significant amount of frustration and stress
14 > as you try to plug the QA holes that you see appearing before you.
15 >
16 > This amount of fragility could make one quite anxious, irritable and
17 > even bitter towards more junior developers who make mistakes. It could
18 > lead to, rather than addressing this underlying problem, potentially
19 > being overly harsh with those who make mistakes.
20
21 I agree with your analsys. My taking of this problem has 3 directions,
22 they may complement each other:
23
24 1. enforce peer-review of commits, such as Gerrit before commits landing
25 git repository.
26
27 2. enforce CI before real commits. If someone care about some features
28 of a critical ebuild, write tests to prevent others from breaking it!
29
30 repoman has already done part of the job.
31
32 3. let us meet more frequently offline, so that we get more acquainted
33 and become more forgivable and relaxed to each other.
34
35 > I think it may also be leading to placing too much emphasis on making
36 > emerge perfect, to the point where it can fix any problem on any
37 > user's system, when really this is not realistic -- it is still
38 > possible to commit something to the tree that has a bad dependency in
39 > it and makes life miserable for users. There's very little that emerge
40 > can do to protect users from this -- it just blindly does what the
41 > dependencies tell it to do.
42 >
43 > I've been reflecting on these things because we've instituted a new
44 > system in Funtoo that seems to be helping. This is not an attempt to
45 > toot my own horn, but I am finally starting to feel a bit of stress
46 > relief in this area due to a new process we are using. We have
47 > organized the upstream Portage tree into 'kits', or sub-trees, and
48 > then we snapshot these sub-trees. Our snapshotted versions are called
49 > 'prime' kits, and we will backport security fixes and do cautious
50 > version bumping in these kits. But then we work on newer versions of
51 > kits to eventually replace the (aging) prime kits, and these are based
52 > on newer snapshots from Gentoo. And we also test to make sure that
53 > people can upgrade cleanly (no weird dep issues) when transitioning
54 > from the older kit to the newer kit.
55 >
56 > While this interferes somewhat with the "bleeding edge, rolling" model
57 > that Gentoo is famous for, it does provide the opportunity to have
58 > kits that are stable, not unlike the Gentoo stable branch, except the
59 > kits concept provides finer granularity. So for example, you could
60 > choose to have a stable core system, but use a more bleeding-edge
61 > python or xorg, for example. And I can make sure that things like
62 > firmware and certificates always have the latest version.Yes, you can
63 > do the same thing with package.unmask, but it is not nearly as clean
64 > and modular.
65
66 Thanks for introducing the kits. But to be honest, I am not too
67 impressed with this system. It feels like stable keywords. You argued
68 kits provides more granularity than stable keywords. We may extend the
69 stable keywords policy to make it more flexible.
70
71 > Just food for thought -- I am wondering if something similar in
72 > Gentoo-land might tackle the root cause of these issues. I know people
73 > are here because they care about Gentoo, but we want to make the
74 > processes work for developers both new and bearded, and they should
75 > allow for some margin of error by developers, because we all make
76 > mistakes.
77 >
78 > I also hate to see what may be a technical/process issue snowball into
79 > bad blood between people on the project.
80
81 Me too. I hate that. It is toxic.
82
83 Yours,