From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: council members and appeals
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2018 07:29:24
1 Dnia 14 lutego 2018 08:22:31 CET, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> napisał(a):
2 >>>>>> On Wed, 14 Feb 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
3 >
4 >> For the record: we currently count 3 QA members in the Council.
5 >> Given their abstention, that means that for any motion to pass, all
6 >> remaining Council members would have to vote 'yes'. If we had one
7 >> more QA member, all motions would automatically be rejected by
8 >> abstention.
9 >
10 >Huh, but we don't vote like that. For example, in the 2013-09-17
11 >meeting we had a motion that was accepted with 3 yes votes, 2 no
12 >votes, and 1 abstention (of 6 council members present).
13 >
14 >> However, I would personally lean towards changing the voting model
15 >> to be less silly and make abstention really distinct from 'no'.
16 >
17 >The voting model is that more than half of the votes are needed for
18 >a majority. Abstentions do not count as votes (so effectively this
19 >means that the number of yeas must exceed the number of nays).
20 >
21 >A motion does not pass if there is a tie. (Example in the same
22 >2013-09-17 meeting, a motion with 3 yes votes and 3 no votes was
23 >rejected.)
24
25 Oh, I'm sorry, I must have confused it with something else.
28 >This seems to agree with the procedure used elsewhere, see for example
29 >Robert's Rules of Order: http://www.robertsrules.com/faq.html#6
30 >
31 >Ulrich
35 Best regards,