From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Questions for Gentoo Council nominees: GLEP 76
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2019 08:04:00
1 On 6/30/19 9:42 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2019-06-30 at 09:11 +0200, Patrick Lauer wrote:
3 >> On 6/15/19 11:49 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 12:42:20 +0300 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
5 >>>> Hi all!
6 >>>>
7 >>>> Last year we had a good initiative: it addition to (or even instead
8 >>>> of) manifests nominees were asked questions by voters. So let's
9 >>>> continue this year.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> I propose to have one question per thread spawned by this e-mail to
12 >>>> keep discussion focused. If you have multiple questions, please
13 >>>> start multiple threads. If your question was already asked, please
14 >>>> join a thread.
15 >>>>
16 >>>> I'll ask my questions in subsequent e-mails.
17 >>>
18 >>> In my opinion GLEP 76 is the most controversial decision made by
19 >>> running council. While it fixed some long standing issues like
20 >>> copyright headers and proper acknowledgement of out of the tree
21 >>> contributors, it created grave problems: now some long-time
22 >>> contributors and even developer are seriously discriminated because
23 >>> they want to keep their privacy.
24 >>>
25 >>> What is your opinion on this problem?
26 >>
27 >> I think everyone involved in the discussion meant well, but different
28 >> cultural starting points (e.g. different ideas about what copyright
29 >> means), trying to find a compromise, not being experienced with legal
30 >> language/concepts (or even legal concepts not translating well between
31 >> languages) etc.etc. conspired to make this a very weirdly shaped thing
32 >> that imo doesn't do what people think it does.
33 >>
34 >> I mostly ignored the discussion because it was a too high volume of
35 >> email on a topic where I don't see a strong need to act, in hindsight
36 >> that was naive optimism on my side.
37 >
38 > It's funny you say that given that you've trolled the result
39 > for 4 months.
40 >
41 Hey I've really missed the personal attacks from you.
42
43 Do you think I can get 20% off if I order a pack of ten?
44
45 I consider the *ideas* behind GLEP76 pretty reasonable (even if I don't
46 agree with it completely), just the way it is written is ... eh ... very
47 much open to individual subjective interpretation, which is not what you
48 want in a standard. Especially not near legal issues.
52 >>> Should GLEP 76 be left as is?
53 >>
54 >> No,it should be improved.
55 >> E.g. having signed commits, and adding signed-off-by, is ... weird.
56 >> It also leads to semantic satiation, where every commit has
57 >> signed-off-by, every commit, signed-off-by, signed-off-by ...
58 >>
59 >> And since it's autogenerated it doesn't really mean anything. It would
60 >> make more sense to add it *only* to commits from not-gentoo-devs, since
61 >> all the other commits are already signed by authenticated users.
62 >
63 > How would you verify that devs have actually read the new spec, and not
64 > just ignored it? Do you prefer that we disabled commit access for
65 > everyone, and then asked everyone to make a vow?
66 >
67 I don't quite understand what you read into my comment.
68
69 Adding an autogenerated "Blessed-by-Krom" has very little *meaning*, so
70 what do we gain by adding an autogenerated "Blessed-by-Krom"? (No,
71 eternal battle in the afterlife is not guaranteed)
72
73 Since it's mandatory to continue committing, and autogenerated ... what
74 does it really do? And how does it do more than requiring people to read
75 and understand the rules before, and signing their commits? (Which,
76 legally, shows an equivalent intent)
77
78 (Does anyone actually read *and understand* Terms&Conditions? How do you
79 verify that? Usually you'd just assume that people are not actively
80 malicious and that their word is enough)
81
82 So from my perspective GLEP76 doesn't really improve the situation, just
83 makes everything more complex and causes exhausting discussions about
84 non-technical topics that don't improve the distro.