From: Adam Feldman <NP-Hardass@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] Triumvirate in Gentoo
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2020 20:35:55
1 On 6/4/20 3:49 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2020-06-04 at 13:32 -0400, Adam Feldman wrote:
3 >> On 6/4/20 3:15 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >>> Three seems to be a very good number -- on one hand, it's more than one,
5 >>> so the others can stop any single one from getting absolute power.
6 >>> On the other, it's small enough for them to be able to actively work
7 >>> together and directly establish a common set of goals (i.e. via
8 >>> an agreement rather than a majority vote).
9 >>>
10 >>>
11 >>> WDYT?
12 >>>
13 >>
14 >> Hard no from me.
15 >>
16 >> If several developers band together in the current system, while some
17 >> sort of regulatory capture can be achieved, it's limited by the fact
18 >> that the regulatory bodies are large enough, and there are several of
19 >> them, such that numbers prevent a hostile takeover.
20 >>
21 >> This proposal reduces the number to 3 individuals. Last thing this
22 >> distro needs is 3 close buddies taking over all 3 positions, not
23 >> providing and check or balance against one another and having complete
24 >> and utter control.
27 > I don't really understand your negativity. You seem to assume that
28 > everyone in the distributions means harm to it. Why don't you have more
29 > trust in your colleagues? Don't you think they mean the best for Gentoo
30 > and are not really interested in 'hostile takeovers'? (I mean, how
31 > could you even consider a 'hostile' takeover when we're all Gentoo
32 > devs?)
35 Not at all. Just consider a simple situation... There are your
36 triumvirate members, A, B, and C. And they really don't like dev D.
37 There is nothing to stop them from sanctioning, kicking, or otherwise
38 negatively affecting dev D.
39
40 At least in the current system, we have a Council of 7 individuals, QA
41 team of 5, ComRel team of 9, and Foundation of 7. That provides a lot
42 of potential for a variety of individuals to be involved, and stops any
43 particular individual or group from being overly power. Let's say
44 Undertakers (2 individuals) or Recruiting (2 individuals) started acting
45 against individuals... Maybe the two people in undertakers really
46 dislike someone and want to get rid of them. Or the two in recruiters
47 seem to not be giving someone a fair chance to join... Would you rather
48 have have 7 Council Members and 9 ComRel members take your appeal? Or
49 1-3 members of the triumvirate? What if the Triumvirate consists of the
50 same individuals as the group acting against you... You have no recourse
51 against single individuals. Moreover, in another email, you lamented
52 that the Trustees had the power to remove Foundation members... Can you
53 imagine if there was only one person accountable for whether people
54 would get removed or not? Vs several individuals who should come to
55 consensus? It's clear that in the event of some negative interaction
56 (inevitable) that things are safer with groups than individuals in charge.
57
58 And your assertions as to what I meant read way more into things. I
59 assume everyone means harm to it? Of course not. I don't have trust in
60 my colleagues and think their goals are hostile takeovers? Come on.
61 Take it back a notch, please.
62
63 I just don't think that consolidating power into minimal numbers of
64 people is beneficial. It's obvious, and a given that not everyone gets
65 along with one another. Would you rather leave your fate to 7-9 people?
66 Or 1? It's really not hard to imagine that interpersonal disagreements
67 have the potential for abuse when power is consolidated. Am I wrong? Or
68 was GLEP 39 passed to democratize Gentoo and reduce episodes of
69 interpersonal conflict that existed before? Personally, I don't see the
70 logic in reverting that. What if the new Technical Lead decides that
71 your way of doing things isn't beneficial to Gentoo, and instead of
72 having several competing projects leading to the best solution, we end
73 up with some particular one with people unable to work on what they want to?
76 If your goal is merely to speed up the rate that issues are resolved by
77 any particular body, why not instead come up with ways to streamline the
78 way that those bodies function? Your concern is that ComRel needs to
79 come together to a vote for things? Empower the individual members to
80 take action, and then if that doesn't adequately resolve things, then it
81 goes to the whole body for review. You want better community relations?
82 Fine, start a new project, sanctioned by the council and foundation and
83 do it. You want the Council to act more expeditiously on technical
84 matters? Why don't we come up with some mechanism of causing that to
85 happen... But I do not think that consolidating power to an individual
86 is safe, considering the potential for conflict and the fact that it is
87 regression from GLEP 39 and all it stands for.
90 Thanks,
91
92 Adam Feldman
93 Gentoo Developer