From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: The KDE overlay moves forward
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 06:12:24
1 Markus Ullmann wrote:
2
3 > Richard Freeman schrieb:
4 >
5 >> The downside might be division of effort and less unification
6 >> (many packages could end up having mutally-exclusive requirements such
7 >> as specific package managers that implement particular EAPIs, etc).
8 >
9 > Plus you have no central place to report bugs and no stable
10 > infrastructure to maintain stuff.
11 > From my POV, one of our strengths over other distributions is that we
12 > can provide it all with one repository in one central place and don't
13 > have issues with a sources.list longer than any make.conf you can come
14 > up with.
15 >
16 > Overlays are there (even though they are hacks) for development or other
17 > packages that don't find a maintainer for some reason; supporting
18 > completely different repos like CPAN and whatnot is desirable as you
19 > strip packaging workload.
20 > But other than that I think we should keep the one big repo strategy. If
21 > others feel different, well they can start right now, no technical
22 > reason stops people from doing so anyway.
23 >
24 ++
25
26 It would be nice to have better overlay handling though, in the way Rich
27 outlined. ATM the best-visible will be used whichever overlay it comes from
28 (ordering only affects the case where more than one overlay has that
29 version), which can be an issue when using layman. Being able to override
30 that on a category or package basis, or indeed simply saying that if a
31 package has been emerged from one overlay, restrict to that overlay, would
32 be cool.
33
34 It'd make people far more relaxed about using sunrise, imo.
38 gentoo-project@l.g.o mailing list