From: Sam James <sam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] glep-0076: add clarification about the sign-off requirements
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 15:42:43
1 > On 28 Jul 2021, at 12:50, Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > this was also my understanding. GLEP 76 applies to everyone -- no exception and during discussion we explicit agreed that it's better to reject any contribution from individual(s) who cannot do the sign-off for whatever reason.
6 >
7 > Keep in mind: Whoever will proxy such a commit will be 100% responsible in the end. For purely self-protection reasons nobody should proxy a commit he/she doesn't understand, doesn't know the origin or in general has any doubts about. _You_ will be responsible for this because _you_ introduced the commit in Gentoo.
8
9 Agreed, but s/commit/contribution/?
12 > That said, an individual who doesn't want to do the sign-off for whatever reason could also contribute without getting attribution if contributor will find a developer who is willing to do this (=what happens for most small proposed bug fixes via b.g.o for example).
16 Right.
17
18 Part of the reason why I'm keen on this proposal is that there's no practical difference between accepting a patch on Bugzilla and re-committing it under my own name and just merging their PR. I suppose if we're clear on guidelines,
19 dropping signoffs where people admit their names are fake would be okay, but it still feels like extra work for developers when merging PRs.
20
21 best,
22 sam