From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] CoC round 2 (or is it 10? ;)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 12:47:34
Chrissy Fullam wrote:
>> Donnie Berkholz wrote: >> Here is the summary from today's council meeting. The >> complete log will show up at > <snip> > - The CoC is in effect, but it needs a new enforcement section since the > proctors were disbanded. The council is sending discussion of this to > the gentoo-project list, to come up with proposals for three points: > - who enforces it > - musikc said devrel could > - tsunam said userrel could > <snip> > > I wanted to clarify, please understand the intent behind my part of the > conversation was that devrel and userrel should continue to share the > responsibility as appropriate, and continue to work together, including > the questionable/overlapping areas. The above may have been misinterpreted > by some to indicate 'pick which one', when my intent was a joined front on > enforcing the CoC. >
That seems reasonable, since the two groups who need equal treatment in an even-handed, impartial manner, are the users and the devs. I'd be happier if user-reps were considered for the pool as well, since devs all seem to know each other fairly well and are quite a close-knit virtual community. Closing ranks happens: deal with it or not. *shrug* YMMV.
>> Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > - how to enforce it > > - whether it's active or passive enforcement
Er well I'd say passive enforcements what you've had so far (at least as far as the dev m-l, which is where many issues seem to surface, goes) and it hasn't worked out very well, which was why there was the long "discussion" on dev[1] followed by the decision to establish the proctors[2].
> > - which actions are appropriate > >
IMO muting a thread/locking a forum post/setting irc +m for 24 hours/forever/however long the ops think it needs, with email/privmsg/pm discussion with whichever people are most vociferously flaming each other (as decided by the mods.)
> > - If the -project list does not come up with a draft, dberkholz will > > write one based on -project discussion to vote upon at the November > > council meeting.
Of course, you're going to need people who have experience of forum moderation, since that's the closest to email. IRC ops can overreact in this context, since they have to close a flamewar/cursing-match/abusive situation down in real-time, so their instinct is naturally to set +b for the medium. [1] [2] -- gentoo-project@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-project] CoC round 2 (or is it 10? ;) Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>