From: "Petteri Räty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo: growing pains & the future.
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:11:28
1 On 18.6.2013 16.59, hasufell wrote:
2 > On 06/18/2013 03:47 PM, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
3 >> On 06/18/2013 09:15 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote: On Tue, 18 Jun 2013
4 >> 14:55:40 +0200 hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >>>>> A tiny idea to improve the council just came to my mind: 1-2
6 >>>>> representatives of the user community should be voted in. IMO
7 >>>>> there are a enough well known personalities in #gentoo,
8 >>>>> #gentoo-chat, from the forums or elsewhere.
9 >> The last time something like that was tried, we ended up with a
10 >> bunch of non-Gentoo-using prolific Off The Wall posters being
11 >> selected. That didn't exactly work out well.
12 >
13 >> -- Ciaran McCreesh
14 >
15 >> I was going to caution against this too. I've had similar
16 >> experiences on college committees where faculty invited students to
17 >> participate. They really didn't understand the issues and wasted
18 >> our time with non-sequitors. It was probably equally frustrating
19 >> to them because they tried but could not contribute. I understand
20 >> that some contributors are more active than some devs, but how
21 >> would the process differentiate?
25 > That proposal cannot stand alone. Please respond to the concept I was
26 > pointing out, not a single point.
29 As voting has meant everyone with access on dev.gentoo.org, it follows
30 that in the context of GLEP 39 the term developers includes staffers who
31 don't have gentoo-x86 access. As such, if the users strongly wish to run
32 for council they can just take the staff quiz with the sole purpose of
33 running for council.
34
35 Regards,
36 Petteri