From: "Sam Jorna (wraeth)" <wraeth@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 13:00:50
1 On 7/7/21 9:25 pm, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 2:55 AM Sam Jorna (wraeth) <wraeth@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> On 7/7/21 11:59 am, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 >>> I'd like the council to vote on one of the following, or some other
6 >>> approach, preferably to get IRC/email/usernames to match once more:
7 >>
8 >>> * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
9 >>> their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
10 >>> then the retirement process for that developer will commence. Users
11 >>> who are unable to obtain a matching nick should contact <foo> to have
12 >>> this addressed with Libera/Infra prior to this date.
13 >>
14 >> Would this be an ongoing thing? This also ties into my previous point -
15 >> if I temporarily switch nicks, would I be in violation? What if my
16 >> connection drops/reconnects and I end up as 'wraeth_' and don't notice,
17 >> would I be in violation and risk retirement (an extreme example, but
18 >> hopefully you get my point)?
19 >
20 > See above. Nick collisions/etc have always been a thing and I don't
21 > think having an underscore at the end really creates confusion,
22 > especially with autocomplete and most IRC clients recognizing your
23 > nominal nick in highlights. The issue is that we have a fair number
24 > of devs (including ones who were among the first to change networks)
25 > who chose completely different nicks.
26
27 Not sure what you mean by 'see above'.
28
29 The issue in that example isn't that my nick would have an underscore,
30 or whatever my client chose as the next available nick, but that it
31 would be different from what LDAP lists me as since the goal here is to
32 regulate what nicks people are allowed to use, potentially with the
33 threat of retirement if it's different. What if my client picks
34 'the_wraeth' - it's (arguably) just as trivial as an underscore, but
35 it'd mess with autocomplete.
36
37 You also raise the point that IRC clients typically highlight primary
38 nicks by default (not to mention you can add custom highlights).
39 Perhaps the answer should be that whatever nick one is using, they are
40 expected to respond to their nominated LDAP nick (ie ensure their client
41 will highlight for it regardless of current nick)? You might not get
42 autocomplete, but provided they're present they should still see it.
43
44 I'll concede, though, that if they're using a different nick, you
45 couldn't know they actually got the message.
46
47 >> Each of the above three options also mean available Gentoo uids is
48 >> dependent on whether a given nick is available on Libera.
49 >
50 > That was always the case with Freenode. It isn't an accident that
51 > they matched before. New devs would be assigned a uid that matched
52 > their nick. So, the namespace was already constrained.
53
54 I don't think this is true - bkohler@g.o is typically known on IRC as
55 iamben, for example, and searching the current developer list[1] for
56 "iamben" returns nothing.
57
58 It may be that people typically chose their IRC handle as their Gentoo
59 uid, but I'm not aware of any policy that says they must match.
60
61 >> Perhaps, rather than forcing either nicks or uids to change, this last
62 >> option should be properly codified and enforced? Should there also be
63 >> some guideline on how long someone can use a nick before it's considered
64 >> "their nick"? Alternatively, can LDAP support multiple nick entries?
65 >
66 > IMO this is a pretty bad option. It basically means that the only way
67 > to go ping somebody on IRC is to first do a table scan to figure out
68 > what they're called at that particular moment.
69
70 How often do you go to ping someone on IRC and find they're using a
71 different nick you didn't know about since the last time you talked to
72 them? You would really only need to look up a nick if the nicks you
73 knew about weren't present.
74
75 > The next obvious step is adding bot commands to facilitate this, so
76 > now we have more bot spam in our channels as people are constantly
77 > asking bots whether somebody is already in the channel (since the
78 > channel member list is now useless), or to relay messages which means
79 > everybody gets to read the channel twice. Or people are first posting
80 > "foo, are you here?" hoping to catch them with highlighting rules.
81 > Then they say "willikins: is foo here?"
82
83 I agree, using a bot to work around this isn't the best solution. That
84 being said, from an end-user perspective it would be easy to '/query
85 willikins whois <dev>' when autocomplete doesn't complete the nick
86 you're looking for (but obviously would require some amount of effort to
87 actually implement).
88
89 > The whole point of having things like IRC channels is to facilitate
90 > communication. Having a level of indirection obfuscates
91 > communication. In more rich applications like github/bugzilla/etc
92 > there are often search functions for things like authors which help
93 > alleviate this. Your typical IRC client doesn't have LDAP integration
94 > so that we can dynamically map nicknames that change according to
95 > mood.
96 >
97 > If we were using something like Matrix then we could have a Federated
98 > Gentoo identity that is linked to LDAP and so there is never a
99 > discrepancy. I agree that there is an argument for the simplicity of
100 > IRC. However, having a level of indirection in nicknames goes against
101 > that argument for simplicity. If you want a fancy communications
102 > system that relies on LDAP lookups then at least automate this vs just
103 > having everybody constantly scanning a webpage.
104
105 I do see the difficulty it can cause with communication, but I don't
106 think LDAP integration with IRC clients or switching platform entirely
107 is the right solution either.
108
109 >> I think at least the issues of multiple/temporary nicks could be
110 >> mitigated if you replace 'nick' with 'account' - their Libera account
111 >> name must match their Gentoo uid in order to be eligible for a cloak.
112 >> That way the cloak matches their Gentoo uid (since the format is
113 >> gentoo/developer/$account) making them easier to identify, and you can
114 >> look up a nick in nickserv to see which account owns it (though you
115 >> can't look up an account and see what nicks it owns, nor if they are
116 >> currently online).
117 >
118 > As you point out, this lets you use whois to figure out who some
119 > random nick on Freenode is. It doesn't let you figure out what nick
120 > to use to ping somebody about something when it happens to be May the
121 > 4th, June the 7th, August the 13th, or whatever other days of the year
122 > various random individuals decide to celebrate various random
123 > holidays. When you have hundreds of people in an org you can't just
124 > expect to know that this guy celebrates Ewok day and goes by Wicket
125 > when the death star is in the waning crescent phase
126 I think the Death Star has been waning for a while now... :)
127
128 >> More generally, how would this apply to people who don't use IRC and
129 >> thus would never have their IRC nick in LDAP match their uid?
130 >
131 > The same way we handle people who don't answer the question in their
132 > dev application about what their IRC nick is: presumably we don't give
133 > them dev accounts already.
134
135 Is a developer actually required to be on IRC? My understanding was
136 that it was technically optional, same as membership on Github or
137 subscription to most lists.
138
139 > It isn't just hundreds of cases of coincidence that everybody used to
140 > have matching Freenode nicks/Gentoo uids. This was very much designed
141 > into the process before.
142 >
143 > I realize this whole situation seems a bit silly, but the whole point
144
145 I do get the concern in terms of ease of communication, and I'm not
146 trying to make light of it, but if the intent is to regulate IRC
147 presence I want to understand it properly.
148
149 > of sticking with IRC was to keep things simple, and people changing
150 > their nicks is actually hindering communications. Some examples:
151 >
152 > 1. I had a conversation with a random person who ended up being a
153 > Council member, where I wasted everybody's time adding context that I
154 > didn't realize was unnecessary.
155 > 2. I've seen devs say on IRC that they need to go talk to somebody
156 > when they were already on the channel (just under an obfuscated name),
157 > resulting in delay/etc.
158 > 3. Most recently I was reading an IRC chat log posted in a separate
159 > thread where it wasn't apparent until the second reading that somebody
160 > else in the discussion was being quoted. I ended up using /whois just
161 > to confirm this. Of course, if I were to do this using the list
162 > archives six months from now who knows what /whois would say.
163
164 These are each valid points, but I suspect they're each a symptom/result
165 of the move to Libera and changes related to that, such as a desired
166 nick becoming free. Again, how often is this actually a problem?
167
168 > Yes, these are all relatively minor issues, but again, the whole point
169 > of IRC is communication, and designing our system to practically
170 > guarantee a future of minor communication problems seems suboptimal.
171
172 [1] https://www.gentoo.org/inside-gentoo/developers/
175 Sam Jorna (wraeth)
176 GnuPG ID: 0xD6180C26

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature