From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting: Tuesday 13 November 2012, 19:00 UTC
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:02:31
1 On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 09:51:36AM +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
2 > On 10-11-2012 13:37:48 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
3 > > > Last but not least, I see no reason (given we have to keep the code
4 > > > anyway) to make sysadmins, that feel unsure about this on their running
5 > > > production systems, go into this route. You don't know what custom code
6 > > > they have installed/running. They'll be on their own (no
7 > > > udev/GNOME/whatever support), but most likely they won't care about that
8 > > > at all.
9 > >
10 > > No, we don't know what custom code people are running, but custom
11 > > someone is running is not an excuse to block change. We just
12 > > have to make change happen in an orderly fashion and make sure people
13 > > are aware of the change so they can find ways on their end to adapt.
14 > > Isn't that reasonable?
15 >
16 > I look at it from the other side, why do we have to make upgrading
17 > impossible for people that can not, or will not perform that change?
18
19 If there are people running gentoo Linux who CAN NOT do this, they
20 definitely should speak up. That's exactly why a newsitem needs to be
21 sent out announcing this and giving a time window before we go forward
22 with anything.
23
24 There is a difference between CAN not and WILL not. If you disagree with
25 what I'm about to say say so, but it seems to me that if someone WILL
26 not perform a change, that is more something they should worry about,
27 not us.
28
29 William