From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 21:09:43
1 On Thu, 11 Oct 2018 19:29:57 +0200 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > >>>>> On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 09:43:52 +0200 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > >> The new copyright policy (GLEP 76) leaves it to projects to decide
6 > >> whether they use the long form or the simplified form of the copyright
7 > >> attribution. I would like to ask the council to decide that the
8 > >> simplified attribution [1] shall be used for ebuilds in the Gentoo
9 > >> repository.
10 >
11 > > I'd like to voice strongly against this motion.
12 >
13 > > Rationale:
14 >
15 > > - We have out of the Gentoo repository ebuilds which may be
16 > > incorporated in the main repository and are licensed properly but
17 > > an author requires his copyright in the first line to be preserved.
18 >
19 > The author's copyright will be preserved, regardless if he is listed in
20 > a copyright line or not. It would even be preserved if there wasn't any
21 > copyright notice at all.
22
23 Okay, I'll rephrase more precise: author has
24 "Copyright years John Doe"
25 as the first line and demands this to be preserved.
26
27 I had cases like this years ago (e.g. I was unable to use ebuilds
28 from an overlay in the main tree because the author refused the
29 first line to be changed to "Gentoo Foundation"). And this problem
30 is present now with other people.
31
32 > The sole purpose of having a copyright notice is to protect us against
33 > an "innocent infringement" defense under U.S. law. It really doesn't
34 > matter much who is listed there (so we can list "Gentoo Authors" which
35 > isn't even a legal entity), as long as we have a notice at all.
36
37 It does matter, at least in some other countries (non-US). Anyway I
38 doubt that even in US committer has right to change copyright
39 notice without author's approval.
40
41 > > GPL-2 allows us to use such ebuilds, but our past copyright policy
42 > > mandating "Gentoo Foundation" doesn't, as well as proposed motion
43 > > which mandates "Gentoo Authors" instead of the list of authors
44 > > including main author if they require so.
45 >
46 > It is virtually impossible to account for all authors of an ebuild,
47
48 Why? We have git log. And we have "and others" clause to account
49 for trivial changes, e.g. if person making some mass-package
50 trivial change, this may go to "and others".
51
52 > and listing "Gentoo Authors" is only done because of practical
53 > considerations (as I had outlined in the rationale). Also, please don't
54 > confuse the copyright notice with an attribution of authorship.
55 > The latter is achieved by the Git (or another VCS) commit information.
56 > Again, this is already outlined in GLEP 76: "Projects using this scheme
57 > [namely, 'Gentoo Authors'] must track authorship in a VCS".
58
59 You are correct, but this doesn't give the right for commiter to
60 remove explicit "Copyright years John Doe" line. If you are
61 confident it does, please cite an appropriate law.
62
63 > > - GLEP 76 already did significant harm to our community by
64 > > outlawing current anonymous or pseudonymous contributions. Moreover
65 > > we have people who want to join community, but keep their identity
66 > > hidden. This is understandable, especially for security or privacy
67 > > oriented software. The harm should go no further. We have a lot of
68 > > talks how we need more developers, but what we are doing in many
69 > > steps including GLEP 76 is exactly the opposite: we are creating
70 > > additional barriers due to vague and bureaucratic reasons.
71 >
72 > How is that relevant for the proposal at hand?
73
74 Because situation is bad now and the motion makes it even worse.
75
76 > > Of course if authors wants to use "Gentoo Authors" this should be
77 > > allowed, especially for automatic migration from the "Gentoo
78 > > Foundation" line. But we must preserve the right to use explicit
79 > > list of authors (including "and others" if necessary) if a
80 > > maintainer wants so.
81 >
82 > Exactly. The aim of the "simplified attribution" policy is to simplify
83 > modification of ebuilds, because contributors (whether Gentoo developers
84 > or users) shouldn't have to think about the copyright line.
85 >
86 > The purpose of the proposal explicitly is *not* to stop anybody from
87 > adding an ebuild with a preexisting copyright notice. However, we should
88 > make it clear that we strongly prefer the simplified form for ebuilds in
89 > the Gentoo repository, entirely for practical reasons.
90
91 The way I read it it moves back to the old "Gentoo Foundation"
92 policy with "Gentoo Foundation" replaced by "Gentoo Authors", which
93 will not allow to commit ebuilds without "Gentoo Authors" in the
94 first line.
95
96 Best regards,
97 Andrew Savchenko