From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2011-12-13
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 17:06:51
On 12/05/2011 08:07 AM, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> On Monday 05 December 2011 01:48:34 Zac Medico wrote: >> On 12/04/2011 10:48 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote: >>> all "failures" that don't result in an aborted build (e.g. EAPI=0 dodoc >>> on missing file) will get "missed". many of those are logged as QA >>> warnings, but it seems default --quiet-build=y will not include these in >>> the log summary. this might be useful to fix -- i'll poke Zac about it >>> if he doesn't see this e- mail. >> >> This is due to the default PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="log warn error" in >> make.globals. The developer profile sets >> >> :PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="${PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES} qa", so anyone running >> >> that profile gets the QA warnings automatically. >> >> Maybe it would be fine to enable the QA warnings by default for all >> users. I don't feel strongly either way. > > hrm. there's some QA messages i think we should have all our users see by > default (so they'll report bugs), and there's some i think should be in the > developer profiles. although, i think most are in the former category, so > maybe we shouldn't sweat it for now ?
Yeah, I don't think it's a major problem. Developers should be setting PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES="${PORTAGE_ELOG_CLASSES} qa" manually if they don't use the developer profile.
> specifically, i'm thinking of the build type warnings that we label as upstream > should be shown to devs and not users ...
We could migrate to ewarn instead of eqawarn for the ones that we want all users to see by default. Alternatively, we could introduce a new log level, but that seems redundant. -- Thanks, Zac