From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Re: [gentoo-project] Recruitment issues and potential improvement
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2015 17:18:29
1 On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 11:54 AM, Andreas K. Huettel
2 <dilfridge@g.o> wrote:
3 > Here's my answer to your contributor: "It's great that you're considering it,
4 > and we're happy to help you. It's worth becoming a full dev, since you have
5 > far more possibilities to directly contribute and also influence where Gentoo
6 > is going. However, it's going to be some work and it will need some
7 > commitment."
8
9 This.
10
11 There are many reasons to contribute to FOSS vs just maintaining your
12 own private fork.
13
14 The selfish reason is the hope that somebody else will take care of
15 your work. So, when somebody changes foo.eclass they'll notice that
16 they're going to break your ebuild and either avoid breaking it or fix
17 it for you. If you stick it in your overlay, then you get to play
18 keep-up.
19
20 The altruistic reason is so that others can benefit from your work,
21 just as you have benefitted from others.
22
23 I've got stuff in my personal overlay that I haven't put in the main
24 tree, mainly because it works well enough for me and I don't want to
25 be bothered with the hassle of making it work well enough for
26 everybody else. Even so, I do try to nag myself about it all the
27 same, because the fact is that they're missed opportunities to help
28 others. I don't mind when others nag me about them either (yes, I
29 know I need to get systemd-cron into the tree - I've been too lazy to
30 test it on a chroot to detect all the tweaks I made to get it to work
31 right - keep bugging me).
32
33 The best way to promote altruism is to not kick people in the groin so
34 much when they do something nice.
37 Rich