From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] Bug #458866: agenda item
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:43:42
1 Hi Ulrich,
2
3 I'd like to add bug #458866 to the agenda for the next meeting. The
4 central issue is best summarized in Zac's comment 18: we should expose
5 /var/db/pkg information to tools that need package info. In this case,
6 we need NEEDED.ELF.2 info to traverse a linkage graph through the
7 installed packages. While such a graph can be regenerated "on the fly"
8 it is time consuming and the information can be done once by portage at
9 emerge time.
10
11 It is not necessary to expose NEEDED.ELF.2 per se, as long as there is
12 some abstract interface for accessing NEEDED.ELF.2 info (and in the
13 future possibly more). Use cases include: 1) in the case of this bug,
14 revdep-pax from sys-apps/elfix which migrates pax markings from
15 libraries to the executables that link against them, 2) emerge
16 @preserved-rebuild. It is not hard to imagine other cases where one
17 needs to traverse a linkage graph.
18
19 Thanks.
22 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
23 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
24 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
25 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
26 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA