From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-project] Re: Code of conduct (was: Council meeting: Tuesday 2013-10-08, 19:00 UTC)
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 10:45:21
1 >>>>> On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Andreas K Huettel wrote:
2
3 > 2. Resume discussion on the new Code of Conduct [2-5]
4
5 I'd like to resume the discussion already now, before the meeting.
6
7 1. I think that section "Limited list of bad behaviour examples" could
8 be improved. In its current form, it is mostly redundant with the
9 second paragraph of "Be respectful".
10
11 Furthermore, it goes too far if the scope of that section applies to
12 Gentoo mirrors, i.e. package content:
13
14 <ulm> scarabeus: section "examples of inappropriate behavior", could
15 you clarify what is considered as "public accessible areas"?
16 would gentoo mirrors count as such?
17 <scarabeus> oh yes, those do count
18 [quoted from log of 20130611 council meeting]
19
20 This would imply mirror restriction for some of our packages
21 (mostly fortune cookies and some artwork, but also packages like
22 app-admin/sudo). However, with USE=offensive we already have a
23 mechanism in place that covers such cases, so I believe that no
24 further action is needed there.
25
26 I therefore suggest that we replace the whole section by the
27 "Unacceptable behaviour" section from our current CoC:
28 http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Council/Code_of_conduct#Unacceptable_behaviour
29
30 2. The last section uses the term "enforcer". According to
31 Merriam-Webster dictionary:
32
33 Definition of ENFORCER
34 1 : one that enforces
35 2 a : a violent criminal employed by a crime syndicate;
36 especially : hit man 1
37 b : player (as in ice hockey) known for rough play and fighting
38
39 It looks like the word has negative connotations and should be
40 avoided. (The current CoC uses "proctor" instead.) But maybe native
41 speakers could comment on this?
42
43 3. The text should use consistent spelling. Currently, both British
44 ("behaviour") and American ("honored") spelling variants occur.
45
46 Ulrich
47
48 > [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.project/3061