From: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Require OpenPGP signatures from existing devs on new developer applications?
Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2017 09:00:50
1 On Fri, 6 Jan 2017 09:18:59 +0100
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > It's called CA, and you've just switched from WoT to PKI model.
5
6 I am unware of any CA services that provide proof-of-physical-identity via cryptographic means.
7
8 There are plenty of CA's who provide web certificates, but they're reasonably easy to achieve without
9 directly observed physical proofs.
10
11 And a PKI model is better than nothing if you live in a country where there is literally no
12 other people in Gentoo infrastructure on your land mass, and there are no other
13 nodes in physical access distance for less than $150 of travel expenses.
14
15 Meanwhile, I can get a phone book and list dozens of "Justice of the Peace" sorts of authenticating agents
16 for legal issues such as obtaining photo ID in the first place.
17
18 There's just no digital equivalent that I've ever stumbled across.