From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2021-07-11 - call for agenda items
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2021 01:59:48
1 On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 5:20 AM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The agenda is still open for additional items that the council should
4 > discuss or vote on. For agenda items, please respond to this message
5 > on the gentoo-project mailing list.
8 Short version of request: can action be taken to re-align IRC nicks
9 with Gentoo uids? (Those with common sense should stop reading here.)
10
11 Longer version: since everything needs discussion, bikeshedding, and
12 actionable resolutions for the council to pass...
13
14 I'd like the council to vote on one of the following, or some other
15 approach, preferably to get IRC/email/usernames to match once more:
16
17 * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
18 their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
19 then the developer will lose their IRC cloak and all IRC roles on
20 Gentoo channels, and will not be eligible to obtain these again until
21 the IRC nickname matches.
22
23 * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
24 their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
25 then a process will be initiated to change their Gentoo uid/email to
26 match their newly chosen IRC nickname.
27
28 * On 2021-08-01 the LDAP user database will be queried to compare
29 their IRC nickname to uid/email addresses. If these do not match,
30 then the retirement process for that developer will commence. Users
31 who are unable to obtain a matching nick should contact <foo> to have
32 this addressed with Libera/Infra prior to this date.
33
34 * The Council recognizes that during the transition to Libera a number
35 of individuals decided to change their IRC nicks and this is causing
36 confusion. The council kindly asks all developers to voluntarily
37 re-align their nicks and Gentoo uids so that it is not necessary to
38 endure further requests asking us to address this problem.
39
40 * The Council recognizes that during the transition to Libera a number
41 of individuals decided to change their IRC nicks and this is causing
42 confusion as to what Gentoo policy is on this matter. There is no
43 requirement that Gentoo uids and IRC nicks match, and any dev is free
44 to change their IRC nick and register the new one in LDAP. The public
45 Gentoo developer list will be updated to list the IRC username of each
46 developer to help everybody identify who is who, and everybody is
47 encouraged to keep the list handy as it will likely change frequently.
48
49 Rationale: I do not believe that recruiters would accept a new
50 developer's request to have a uid that doesn't match their nick on
51 IRC. I suspect that recruiters also screen these nicks for
52 acceptability. It doesn't make sense to have these suddenly diverge,
53 but only for a handful of existing developers whose IDs used to match,
54 but not for new devs going forward. The current state is confusing at
55 best. I do not pretend that all of these options are equally pretty
56 to implement from either a people or technical standpoint, and if
57 somebody has a better way to accomplish the goal by all means speak
58 up...
59
60 Obviously it would be best to just have devs fix this on their own
61 initiative, and I hate that this even has to be brought up ... again.
62 Perhaps devs holding leadership roles can lead the way.
63
64 Alternatively, if the intent is to just take advantage of the fact
65 that table lookups are cheap, at least for devs who are lacking
66 humanity, then just say so in order that we can stop talking about
67 it...
68
69 (FWIW, it is getting late, and some items above are intended as
70 genuine humor because not everything around here needs to be grim.
71 Now I'm off to sleep where I can hopefully dream up some more creative
72 IRC nicks...)
75 Rich