From: Matt Turner <mattst88@g.o>
To: Gentoo project list <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] The problem of defunct and undermanned projects in Gentoo
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 23:33:12
1 On Sun, Jul 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2 > What do you think? Would you mind getting that amount of mail once?
3 > Any other ideas?
4
5 Sounds fine to me. I've thought about unilaterally dropping people
6 from project lists, but decided it wasn't worth the inevitable hassle.
7
8 I'm basically the only one maintaining X11 packages for about a year
9 now (team of six officially), with some version bump help from mrueg.
10 I think the situation with GNOME is similar, but their work is more
11 difficult which is why it usually takes six months to get a new GNOME
12 release into Gentoo.
13
14 We may be able to get some small gains by better communicating which
15 projects need help, but I suspect that every developer that joins an
16 additional undermanned project to help out will just leave some other
17 project a little more undermanned.
18
19 The frustrating thing in the X11 world is that I know a bunch of
20 upstream people that *use* Gentoo. None of them feel like they have
21 time or the interest to help maintain things -- but still ask me to do
22 things in Gentoo.