From: Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2018-10-14
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:35:02
1 On 10/11/2018 09:59 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Oct 11, 2018 at 9:25 PM Sarah White <kuzetsa@××××××××××.ovh> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> assuming "commit authors are copyright holders" shouldn't be
5 >> trusted blindly (the git log doesn't "solve everything")
8 > Sure, but neither can any other conceivable log, and anything that
9 > could be put in such a log could also be put in a commit annotation,
10 > which IMO will track it a heck of a lot better than a random text
11 > file.
14 >> Does this mean "gentoo authors" will appear in court when
15 >> there's infringement? This is not a rhetorical question.
18 > Simply being named in a copyright notice creates no particular
19 > obligation to appear in a court.
20 >
21 > If there is some kind of copyright lawsuit, then presumably those most
22 > associated with the code in question could be called as witnesses,
23 > assuming whoever is doing the suing can be bothered to track them
24 > down.
25 >
26 > Ultimately though if Gentoo gets sued by somebody, the burden of proof
27 > is actually on them to prove that THEY owned the copyright. Gentoo's
28 > burden would probably be to show that reasonable care was exercised
29 > over accepting code, and that infractions were dealt with in a
30 > reasonable manner when brought to our attention.
31 >
32 > Really though, that is about the best we can do anyway. If we want to
33 > suppose that somebody can make us do more than what is "reasonable"
34 > then we might as well give up on FOSS.
37 >> This is a very useful notice, because if someone has a snapshot
38 >> tarball, or other non-git copy of particular source files, the
39 >> lack of a proper notice is a legal problem (see below)
40 >
41 > Just stick it in git. If somebody wants to know the history, they can
42 > look it up in git. If somebody wants to go redistributing snippets of
43 > the file, then complying with the law is their problem, not ours.
46 >> - This ignores the purpose: copyright notices are to make
47 >> sure when someone gets "free code", they don't assume it's
48 >> free for any/all purposes with zero restrictions:
51 > Our notices already make this clear, regardless of whose name is listed.
52 >
53 >> the infringer could say the copyright status (copyleft
54 >> uses copyright law for enforcement) wasn't apparent due
55 >> to the lack of a clearly formatted copyright notice...
56 >
57 > The required format of a copyright noticed under US law is explictly stated:
58 >
59 > (b)Form of Notice.—If a notice appears on the copies, it shall consist
60 > of the following three elements:
61 > (1)the symbol © (the letter C in a circle), or the word “Copyright”,
62 > or the abbreviation “Copr.”; and
63 > (2)the year of first publication of the work; in the case of
64 > compilations, or derivative works incorporating previously published
65 > material, the year date of first publication of the compilation or
66 > derivative work is sufficient. The year date may be omitted where a
67 > pictorial, graphic, or sculptural work, with accompanying text matter,
68 > if any, is reproduced in or on greeting cards, postcards, stationery,
69 > jewelry, dolls, toys, or any useful articles; and
70 > (3)the name of the owner of copyright in the work, or an abbreviation
71 > by which the name can be recognized, or a generally known alternative
72 > designation of the owner.
73 >
74 >> ... so something generic like "gentoo authors" can be
75 >> difficult to enforce - I've not seen case law on this.
76 >
77 > Our copyright would be completely enforceable even if we had no notice at all.
78 >
79 > However, if Gentoo sued somebody for infringement, then the defendant
80 > could attempt to claim that the infringement was innocent (ie they did
81 > not know the work was copyrighted). IMO that would be an uphill
82 > battle. If the court decides our notice complies, then they are
83 > required by law to not give any credence to such an argument. If they
84 > decide that it doesn't completely comply, then they would still weigh
85 > the argument, and how plausible is it that a court will buy that you
86 > didn't know it was copyrighted when Copyright 2018 Gentoo Authors is
87 > on the first line of the file?
88 >
89 > And none of this will ever matter at all unless Gentoo files a
90 > lawsuit. Right now we can't seem to file our taxes. How likely do we
91 > think it is that Gentoo will be filing a lawsuit as the plaintiff?
92 > The notice doesn't matter at all if somebody sues us.
95 >> I believe licensing is the reason for GCO, not copyright
96 >> attribution. Language about committer, acked or signed-off,
97 >> and copyright holder VS licenses and GCO, all within the
98 >> same
99 >
100 > Sure, that is completely true. The GCO/DCO/etc has nothing to do with
101 > attribution.
102 >
103 >> GLEP (#76) adds a lot of confusion because copyright
104 >> is barely mentioned, and not in a clearly defined way.
105 >
106 > What is unclear about it?
107 >
108 > It used to be much more prescriptive. However, that was considered to
109 > be too inflexible, and other prominent projects (like Linux) don't
110 > seem to require this. The importance of a very specific notice also
111 > did not really seem to be sufficient to create controversies when
112 > contributors felt they could not comply with a very specific
113 > requirement.
114 >
115 >> Copyright should be treated as a separate issue from GCO.
116 >
117 > Well, both deal with copyright, but I agree that the notice is
118 > separate from the GCO, and they are in fact mentioned separately.
121 >> Do "gentoo authors" file a lawsuit when there's infringement?
122 >
123 > You do not need to be listed in a copyright notice to file a lawsuit.
124 > You merely need to have authorship.
125 >
126 >> How does jurisdiction work when the only thing which can
127 >> be known for certain is: "someone claimed the commit they
128 >> wrote was FOSS/Libre & they signed-off with a GCO line"
129 >
130 > Ultimately anybody wanting to file a lawsuit has to prove the
131 > underlying facts. If you want to sue somebody for copyright
132 > infringement you have to demonstrate to the court that you wrote
133 > whatever you're suing over.
134 >
135 > If we were in the business of selling software and were more likely to
136 > be suing people regularly, then I'd certainly agree that a lot more
137 > rigor could be used to capture proof of ownership. This would
138 > presumably pay for itself as a cost of doing business. However, that
139 > isn't the kind of organization we are in. Mostly we just want to show
140 > reasonable care, and to be responsible in general. That helps keep us
141 > from getting sued. I'm skeptical that Gentoo would ever sue anybody.
142 >
143 >> Does this mean GCO sign-off lines obligate the contributors
144 >> to respond whenever FOSS/Libre legal issues come up?
145 >
146 > No. Your obligation to respond to a court is established in your
147 > local laws. In many places you can be called as a witness against
148 > your will if you have knowledge of a case, whether you sign anything
149 > or not. I don't think that is particularly likely to happen here, and
150 > it is especially unlikely outside of your local jurisdiction, and most
151 > courts do have rules to avoid placing unreasonable burdens on
152 > witnesses.
153 >
154 > IMO signing the DCO/GCO/etc probably reduces the likelihood of being
155 > called to testify simply because your testimony is already a matter of
156 > public record (well, maybe aside form some notarized statement
157 > affirming that you signed it).
158 >
159 >> If there was a FLA policy in place, and gentoo formally held
160 >> itself out to protect (as a fiduciary) any FOSS/Libre interests
161 >> of the contributors; gentoo needs to hold the copyright, and
162 >> more importantly: invest in policy and planning to legally
163 >> protect FOSS/Libre interests when any infringement occurs.
164 >
165 > Actually, the FLA as written by the FSFe explicitly does NOT assign copyright.
166 >
167 >> the protection should be proper: a real entity. changing
168 >> the language from foundation to authors and treating it
169 >> like it's still a copyright assignment is pointless
170 >> unless the simplified attribution still assigns the
171 >> copyright to the gentoo foundation hold copyright.
172 >
173 > The intent is not to require assignment of copyright. We were
174 > actually considering rolling out the FLA in parallel (voluntarily),
175 > but this was felt to be making the GLEP even more complex.
176 >
177 >> GLEP 76 shouldn't try to be an umbrella for multiple things.
178 >
179 > I guess we should consider that when we approve it. Oh wait, it is
180 > already approved. I guess when you author the next one you can take
181 > that into account. :)
182 >
183 > It isn't perfect. IMO it belongs together. However, others might
184 > disagree. It only took about half a decade to finish. I'm sure
185 > somebody willing to put enough time into it will surpass it. Then
186 > they can go on to real challenges like filing the Foundation's taxes.
187 >
188 > In any case, I'm not convinced that copyright notice is really worth
189 > THAT much fighting over. I wasn't a huge fan of "Gentoo Authors"
190 > either, but in the end I realized that notices are fairly overrated.
191 > I think that the GLEP accomplishes what it ought to on this front.
192 > Any requirement you add to it is just going to create another group of
193 > devs who feel they cannot comply with it. Heck, the current policy
194 > basically allows almost any notice that complies with US law and there
195 > is still some concern.
198 Many of those inline replies are redundant, and seem to be
199 referring to what I wasn't talking about:
200
201 I think the confusion / misunderstanding here is evidence
202 of exactly what I was referring to. Copyright Notices are
203 notices that a copyright is held, and GLEP 76 is titled:
204
205 "Copyright Policy", and only mentions copyright notices.
206
207 To me, that's overly vague for one reason - when I see a
208 copyright notice, I assume it's valid, because I know what
209 a copyright notice is: the copyright holder saying:
210
211 "this is mine and I will protect it"
212
213 The infringement occurs when the copyright holder (the
214 legal entity / person listed in the notice) has their
215 copyrighted work misused in some way. In the case of
216 copyleft, the license is traditionally mentioned in the
217 same section as the copyright notice, with the (implied)
218 intent being: "if you violate this license, you've done
219 something with my copyrighted work, and I must protect my
220 copyright interests by enforcing my license"
221
222 To clarify what I meant:
223
224 Do "gentoo authors" file a lawsuit when there's infringement?
225
226 That was the main / only thing I was referring to.
227
228 "this is mine and I will protect it" - copyright holder
229
230 One of the things I pointed out wasn't really addressed:
231
232 ["copyright notices are not required for
233 a copyright holder to have a copyright"]
234
235 ^ as referenced here:
239 >> Does this mean "gentoo authors" will appear in court when
240 >> there's infringement? This is not a rhetorical question.
244 [...]
247 > Ultimately though if Gentoo gets sued by somebody, the burden of proof
248 > is actually on them to prove that THEY owned the copyright. Gentoo's
249 > burden would probably be to show that reasonable care was exercised
250 > over accepting code, and that infractions were dealt with in a
251 > reasonable manner when brought to our attention.
254 [...]
255
256 ^ The copyright holder (the legal entity or person in the
257 copyright notice) would be the one to file lawsuit(s) when
258 there's infringement.
259
260 I'm specifically / directly asking:
261
262 Is the gentoo foundation the copyright holder?
263
264 > Our notices already make this clear, regardless of whose name is listed.
265
266 That's not clear. A lot of people see: "this is free, and
267 the source code is available", and then make assumptions
268 about what that means:
269
270 There's very little documentation about gentoo's procedure
271 when FOSS/Libre work (copyleft / copyrightable portions of
272 gentoo OS and related tools) is mistreated, and a copyright
273 action is needed in order to enforce the licesnse (copyleft
274 style: because that's why there's copyright notices)
275
276 The notion: "GLEP 76 implies what happens in that case"...
277
278 ... must've been in some other document.
279
280 My point was / still is:
281
282 What is gentoo's policy when infringement happens?
283 (when "gentoo authors" are the copyright holder)
284
285 If a business entity's name is listed as the copyright
286 holder, their copyright notice means (at least it should)
287 that they'll be the ones who show up in court when the
288 time comes to protect against copyleft infringement:
291 > And none of this will ever matter at all unless Gentoo files a
292 > lawsuit. Right now we can't seem to file our taxes. How likely do we
293 > think it is that Gentoo will be filing a lawsuit as the plaintiff?
294 > The notice doesn't matter at all if somebody sues us.
297 An infringement suit is when the copyright holder ("gentoo
298 authors", and I'm questioning how "gentoo authors" hold
299 a copyright if listed as the "entity" which holds the
300 copyright) SUES the infringer, not the other way around.
301
302 Copyright notice serves a specific legal purpose.
303
304 Not sure what you mean about: "file our taxes".
305
306 Was that a joke?
307
308 To me, the (main) point of GLEP 76 is to let entities who
309 are willing/able to file a copyright lawsuit have the
310 option to do so, partly because gentoo doesn't seem to have
311 a policy in please for protecting copyleft / copyright.