From: Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: Sam James <sam@g.o>, Gentoo Council <council@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items for upcoming council meeting (2022-05-08)
Date: Fri, 06 May 2022 06:30:47
1 On 05/05/2022 23.08, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, May 5, 2022 at 3:27 PM Arthur Zamarin <arthurzam@g.o> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> This change will force all users to change their flow, or set the
5 >> configuration part - meaning it is a semi-breaking change.
6 >
7 > Since commits to the main repo without the signoff are going to get
8 > rejected anyway, if we decide to go ahead with this would it make
9 > sense to just have it abort by default if the config item or command
10 > line parameter is missing?
11 >
12 > If a user really wants to commit without a signoff they can just set
13 > --signoff=false, or the equivalent in the config file.
14 >
15 > Basically make it a non-optional parameter.
16
17 Just a small addition. Sign-off is a "must" only for gentoo repo.
18 Overlays and other sources can have other policies. Meaning there is
19 value for having it an optional argument.
20
21 > If this weren't a gentoo-specific tool I'd see making the behavior
22 > more generic, but it seems like if the default is going to be to help
23 > the user to shoot themself in the foot, it should just output some
24 > kind of explanation of the need for the parameter and what it means if
25 > it is not provided.
26
27 But I do like the idea of showing a warning if gentoo repo is detected
28 and without signoff, with short explanation how to add or configure it.
29
30 --
31 Arthur Zamarin
32 arthurzam@g.o
33 Gentoo Linux developer (Python, Arch Teams, pkgcore stack, GURU)

OpenPGP_signature.asc application/pgp-signature