From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] ChangeLog generation: Edit generated Changelogs
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:53:35
1 On 19-09-2011 20:21:51 +0300, Markos Chandras wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 09/19/11 20:09, Fabian Groffen wrote:
6 > >
7 > > $EDITOR ChangeLog && repoman commit -m "added bugref"
8 > >
9 > > (side-note: I don't see the point of your echangelog usage for this
10 > > case)
13 > Ok pretty much what I said in my previous email. In this case you edit
14 > the ChangeLog but the "added bugref" text will be appended to
15 > Changelog instead of fixing your previous commit message. In my
16 > opinion we have two options here
17
18 Why? The message will not go to ChangeLog, simply because repoman would
19 not do that, because echangelog doesn't do that as well:
20
21 [nut:portage/mail-client/mutt] % cvs update
22 cvs update: Updating .
23 cvs update: Updating files
24 [nut:portage/mail-client/mutt] % echangelog "bla"
25 **
26 ** NOTE: No non-trivial changed files found. Normally echangelog
27 ** should be run after all affected files have been added and/or
28 ** modified. Did you forget to cvs add?
29 **
30 ** In strict mode, exiting
31 ** If you know what you're doing there pass '--no-strict' to echangelog
32
33 > 1) Ignore commit messages that only affect ChangeLogs. This requires
34 > the ChangeLog entry to be kept on $VCS cause it is easier
35
36 we already do that
37
38 > OR
39 > 2) Remove the head -1 ChangeLog entry and insert the new one.
40
41 complex for no reason
42
43 > In both cases, the ChangeLogs need to be on $VCS
44
45 or put differently, it's the best we can do when it is decided that we
46 need to be able to do things that require a file (like currently already
47 is the case).
48
49 > The only advantage for having the post-commit server generating the
50 > ChangeLogs is the reduce $VCS size. I can't see any other advantages
51 > whatsoever
52
53 I think this is non-sense, and only complicates matters.
57 Fabian Groffen
58 Gentoo on a different level