From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Cc: Gregory Woodbury <redwolfe@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Discontinuing the support for GitHub pull requests
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2017 14:18:51
1 Am Dienstag, 31. Oktober 2017, 14:50:42 CET schrieb Gregory Woodbury:
2 >
3 > I understand the concerns that Gentoo wants to guarantee that the project
4 > provides high-quality software. However, quite a number of people I know
5 > have taken a look at the requirements documents and decided that the hoops
6 > are too messy and unnecessary for them to show that they are competent.
7 > Many of them are already familiar with the methods and tools, and it is
8 > insulting that they would
9 > have to go through an "apprenticeship" before they are allowed to even
10 > submit patches.
11
12 A large part of that is perception.
13 (*Also* because not everyone is as well-prepared and as knowledgeable as s/he
14 thinks.)
15
16 Another part of it was in the past delays because of busy recruiters (sadly it
17 did happen that people had everything ready and still had to wait many weeks).
18 I'd assume this is not so bad anymore at the moment.
19
20 > These "attacks" (strong complaints and abusive language) do not improve
21 > the reputation of Gentoo out in the world. The other week I did a brief
22 > report on the Gentoo project and an update on the status of the
23 > repositories with regards to the latest software packages. The 'lightning
24 > talk' was appreciated but a few comments were made that several folks used
25 > and liked Gentoo, but were discouraged about the future of the project due
26 > to the politics.
27
28 About abusiveness, believe me it's a lot better now than it was maybe, say 10
29 years ago. (Not that I was already around back then, my involvement goes only
30 about 8 years back.)
31
32 The politics... well, there always are different opinions. Github is practical
33 and useful, but from the side of free software philosophy (and yes I guess
34 we're all free software supporters) not entirely uncontroversial. And in a
35 large project we need to come up with compromises that make the maximum number
36 of contributors happy.
37
38 > I have actually been programming since 1958, after learning FORTRAN
39 > by keypunching programs for my Father on weekends and evenings. In
40 > High School (circa 1970) i elected to go for a B.S. in Computer Science
41 > with a strong elective set in genetics. Working at Duke in 1978, I was
42 > somewhat involved in the development and administration of a system
43 > that was in the same room and the CS machine that was used to develop
44 > NetNews/USENET. A null modem and serial cables allowed for testing
45 > much of the development without needing to use slow modem connections.
46 > The systems were, of course, running UNIX. In 1980, I tried my hand
47 > at being a 'consultant' in the NYC Metro area, mostly at Bell Labs and
48 > NY Telephone. When I had to take a short gig on Wall Street, I couldn't
49 > deal any longer with the commercial scene, and went back to Duke, and
50 > spent another 25 years working as a system admin, programmer, and
51 > on-campus consultant, jumping on the Linux bandwagon very early.
52 > With such a background, I find the "required" hoops of the Gentoo
53 > developer admission process very insulting, especially in light of the
54 > politics I have observed; and I have no patience or inclination to deal
55 > with it just to become a member of the "inner circle" and get a chance
56 > to obtain commit access and to vote for the inbred council.
57 >
58 > After 59 years of programming, admining (excuse me - DevOps), testing,
59 > on a wide variety of platforms, I can be cranky and fussy. The thing is:
60 > I do care about Gentoo.
61
62 Ha! With this background, as a member of the inbred council, I challenge you
63 to produce a set of quiz answers that we can submit to the recruiters within
64 at most 2 dedicated working days. :) One day for yourself, then review by me,
65 then another day to fix it up.
66
67 I suppose you could be developer with commit access within 2-3 weeks (and the
68 main delay will be scheduling).
69
70 Yes we are happy for people to join up, and yes it takes some effort. But if
71 you care about Gentoo, go the last step. Otherwise, at least in my case a
72 certain tiredness sets in, about the freeloaders who submit one perfect pull
73 request after the other but are too lazy to do the one little thing they don't
74 like (signing up) so I don't have to pointlessly review their stuff anymore.
75 (And yes, the developer with commit access who merges a pull request is in the
76 end responsible for it.)
77
78 > Web tools
79 > to support this workflow should not be too hard to make. (I am actually
80 > surprised that there is not more automations to support development, but I
81 > suspect each developer would prefer to use the toolsets they are most
82 > comfortable with when working.)
83
84 Ah yes but for that we'd first have to agree on the color of it... (The web
85 interface of course... :)
88 Andreas K. Hüttel
89 dilfridge@g.o
90 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)