From: Jauhien Piatlicki <jauhien@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Gentoo Recruiters need your help!
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 20:29:33
1 15.11.14 16:00, hasufell написав(ла):
2 > On 11/15/2014 03:44 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
3 >> On Sat, Nov 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM, Michael Palimaka <kensington@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> On 16/11/14 00:43, hasufell wrote:
5 >>>>
6 >>>> We should recruit less people and instead make an effort to review other
7 >>>> peoples overlays and include a list of high-quality overlays on our website.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> The good part is: any dev can do this and it moves away from our broken
10 >>>> centralized packaging model.
11 >>>> In addition, this will take off workload from the recruiters team.
12 >>>
13 >>> High-quality, reviewed overlays is a good idea. We still need more
14 >>> recruiters though.
15 >>>
16 >>
17 >> ++
18 >>
19 >> I'm all for implementing a more distributed model, though I think it
20 >> would take a bit more than just a list of overlays (we need better
21 >> policies around eclass changes and the like, unless we want overlays
22 >> to fork them). That said, we've talked about that many times and
23 >> until we're happily buzzing along with 47 high-quality overlays let's
24 >> not turn off the developer production factory.
27 > Turning it off will decrease organizational problems, make the
28 > distribution more focused and eventually more high quality, because
29 > people would be able to actually work together on the _core_ of gentoo
30 > (toolchain, base-system, eclasses, PM...).
31 >
32 > So, I was specifically talking about a distributed model _opposed_ to
33 > adding new "developers" every time we are short on a team.
34 >
35 > Of course, this would also require us to actually work together _with_
36 > the community.
39 +1
40
41 It would be probably good to have in the tree only the core components and move other stuff to the thematic overlays.
42
43 Then we can have a clear understanding, how things should be: if something is a part of the core system, it goes to the tree, if something is a scientific packages, it lives in the science overlay, if something is a java stuff it lives in the java overlay, etc.
44
45 It will make easier for users both looking for packages and contributing to the project.
46
47 Though we need to create clear policies for overlays and review them based on those policies.
50 Jauhien