From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council appointed leaders for QA and DevRel
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2011 01:56:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On 15-08-2011 19:29, Petteri Räty wrote:
5 > On 14.08.2011 19:12, Roy Bamford wrote:
6 >> On 2011.08.14 15:39, Markos Chandras wrote:
7 >>> On 08/14/2011 03:19 PM, Roy Bamford wrote:
8 >>>> Team,
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ...
11 >> [snip]
12 >>>> Why do devrel members need to be developers? Users with the
13 >>>> correct skill set can do the job just as well, if they are
14 >>>> interested.
15 >>> devrel members are mainly recruiters, which requires ebuild and
16 >>> organization knowledge. If a users has this knowledge it is not
17 >>> hard to become a developer and join recruiters
18 >> We are discussing devrel here, not recruiters. I was under the
19 >> impression (perhaps mistakenly) that devrel and recruiters were
20 >> two separate projects. If one has become a subset of the other by
21 >> virtue of overlapping skill requirements and project membership
22 >> maybe thats a pointer that the projects should be merged. While
23 >> that's interesting, its not the topic of this thread.
26 > Recruiters are a sub project of devrel. I at some point suggested
27 > the to my predecessors that recruiters could be separate but since I
28 > have been the lead of both how both are organized hasn't been a
29 > priority.
30 >
31 > Regards, Petteri
32
33 Currently the DevRel team may be composed by people that are in either
34 the Recruiters, the Undertakers or in both projects. That is not the
35 same as saying that DevRel = Recruiters + Undertakers.
36 For starters, joining Recruiters or Undertakers doesn't make you a
37 DevRel member. Also, the reason we currently have the match is that all
38 Recruiters and Undertakers have with time been asked to join DevRel,
39 that the Ombudsman, later disputer resolutions team, was extinct and
40 that other members not part of Recruiters or Undertakers have dropped
41 the team.
42 In my talks with Petteri about creating the Community Relations project,
43 merging DevRel and UserRel, our plan was to create a dispute resolutions
44 team again to make it clear that it is a distinct body from recruiters,
45 undertakers and any other project under Community Relations.
46 The important point here is that the skill set required for these are
47 not necessarily the same. One might be a great Recruiter and not have
48 the best mindset for being a dispute resolution member.
49
50 - --
51 Regards,
52
53 Jorge Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) - jmbsvicetto at gentoo dot org
54 Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / KDE / Elections / RelEng