From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2016-08-14
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2016 17:38:38
1 On 08/05/2016 01:11 PM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
2 >
3 > I disagree. ACCEPT_LICENSE does not change the files which the ebuild
4 > installs on the user's filesystem, nor does it interfere with subslot
5 > dependency calculations like EAPI changes do. Therefore a new revision
6 > is not needed.
7
8 Those two are sufficient for a new revision, but not necessary. Use
9 common sense. If not doing a revision is going to negatively affect
10 people, then you should do a revision.
13 >> If you installed something whose EULA says it can hijack your webcam and
14 >> post naked pictures of you to slashdot, but it incorrectly had
15 >> LICENSE="GPL-2", wouldn't you want to find out that I corrected it?
16 >
17 > That is the package manager's task. I do get reminded if a package which
18 > I have installed is now masked by package.mask, maybe something like
19 > this would work for licenses too.
22 The package manager's task is well-defined, and that isn't part of it.
23 Saying "maybe it's possible somehow some day" is not a good reason to
24 screw up ACCEPT_LICENSE handling with certainty right now.
25
26 To bring this back on topic. If I change LICENSE, I'm going to do it in
27 a new revision, because I want it to work right -- to each his own. At
28 the moment, doing a revision on top of a stable ebuild is not optimal,
29 because little bug fixes like that can remain in unstable for a year. A
30 carefully-worded exception could alleviate that, when the change could
31 in no way affect architecture stability.