From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] RFC: GLEP - Require Projects to report to Council Monthly
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2017 15:05:03
1 On Saturday, January 21, 2017 12:30:35 AM EST NP-Hardass wrote:
2 >
3 > OK, so clearly, these are circular. The point is, a requirement, is
4 > compulsory and obligatory, ie you MUST do it, you are obligated, you are
5 > compelled to do so. But if you are told that you MUST do it, what
6 > happens if you opt not to?
7
8 Again this is no about punishment. People are focusing to much on what if I do
9 not do the report... Rather than hey that is a good idea, we should see that
10 it is done.
11
12 > Now, that takes us back to the points made by everyone else in this
13 > thread... All of which are stating that they do not want compulsory
14 > reporting actions, in part, because they don't like the premise of being
15 > punished for failure to perform such an activity.
16
17 People have the idea that since they are a volunteer nothing should be
18 required of them. They should be able to do what ever, work on what ever, when
19 ever, how ever they feel like it. Any attempt to bring about organization
20 tends to meet resistance with many "excuses" as to why not.
21
22 > If you concede that you didn't intend to say compulsory, must do lest
23 > the person/project incur a punishment, then we aren't talking about
24 > requirements, we are talking about a suggestion.
25
26 People need to stop focusing on punishment. If all comply no need, so
27 discussions on such are futile and a waste of time.
28
29 It is not about punishment. It is clarifying what is expected, just do it,
30 nothing to punish or discuss.
31
32 > I hardly think anyone would complain at the suggestion of projects
33 > voluntarily reporting to the council for updates if they so wish, and
34 > that it might be useful for council to poke projects to remind them that
35 > they may exercise that right if they so choose.
36
37 Problem with voluntary is it does not create any sort of pressing need. If
38 they understand they are required, there is a pressing need. It should not
39 require punishment for compliance. It is voluntary to do such reporting now.
40 Are projects producing voluntary reports now?
41
42 If intelligent people cannot understand the benefit of spreading around
43 information. That is their own personal issue. This should make sense to
44 anyone, and be like news from each project. Anyone not wanting to inform
45 others of activity in their project. Sounds more like secrecy, or childish I
46 do not want to be bothered with that or informing others. Rather than a lack
47 of time or solid reason. It does not take much!
48
49 Part of the point of FOSS is having free access to the information, source
50 code. Thus we should have free access to activity just the same.
51
52 > If your goal is to impose compulsory behavior that goes beyond QA and
53 > other similar necessities of development, I suspect that you will find
54 > almost no support anywhere. As cited before in this thread, we aren't
55 > paid to put up with requirements, there is no positive reinforcement,
56 > only negative reinforcement, so adding barriers to contributions is
57 > ill-advised and will not be well received.
58
59 Again anytime anyone makes attempts at organization there is heavy blow back.
60 Though other distros do place requirements, and not discuss punishment.
61
62 "A big part of your job as Debian maintainer will be to stay in contact with
63 the upstream developers. Debian users will sometimes report bugs that are not
64 specific to Debian to our bug tracking system. You have to forward these bug
65 reports to the upstream developers so that they can be fixed in a future
66 upstream release."
67 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/ch03.en.html
68
69 That seems like a pretty hard requirement to me. They say it is part of your
70 "job" and you "have" to forward stuff to upstream. That sounds pretty
71 mandatory, obligatory, what ever word you want to use, etc.
72
73 What happens if as a Debian developer you NEVER provide anything to upstream?
74 Their documentation does not cover such. People focus to much on punishment.
75
76 If the word "job" was used around Gentoo, the crap would hit the fan. The
77 Gentoo community seems to have serious issues with organization for a
78 volunteer project. Many volunteers have bosses, duties, responsibilities,
79 requirements, etc.
80
81 The comments thus far reflect more an attitude issue than policy.
84 William L. Thomson Jr.