From: Patrice Clement <monsieurp@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Hiding problems, breach of Gentoo Social Contract
Date: Fri, 02 Dec 2016 22:43:09
1 Friday 02 Dec 2016 00:59:27, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote :
2 > I have read this a few times now. I cannot see it being taken any other way
3 > than written. Nothing states the problems shall remain hidden indefinitely.
4 >
5 > Specifically mentioning BOTH security and developer relations. Meaning neither
6 > receives special treatment over the other. Neither should be private, unless
7 > requested to not publicize before a deadline. Implying by default it is public
8 > including developer relations information. Developer bugs remain visible, as
9 > are bugs filed to comrel.
10 >
11 > The fact that it mentions developer relations information implies that those
12 > problems should be open and not hidden. That developer relations is also
13 > handled via Bugzilla at least in part. That further links developer relations
14 > problems to the social contract and not hiding problems there.
15 >
16 > If requests to publicize problems are denied. That seems like a clear breach
17 > of the Social Contract. I would expect the Foundation to fulfill its obligation
18 > to protect the community and enforce total adherence to the Gentoo Social
19 > Contract.
20 >
21 > "We will not hide problems
22 > We will keep our bug report database open for public view at all times;
23 > reports that users file online will immediately become visible to others.
24 >
25 > Exceptions are made when we receive security-related or developer relations
26 > information with the request not to publicize before a certain deadline."
27 >
28 > https://www.gentoo.org/get-started/philosophy/social-contract.html
29 >
30 > --
31 > William L. Thomson Jr.
32
33 William
34
35 I would suggest you to get off the computer for a while and go out to gallivant
36 a bit with other human beings. I mean it seriously.
37
38 On a side note, I am considering unsubscribing from this mailing list because
39 the level of discussions taking place here is getting close to 0. You have
40 managed to take over this mailing list, which by now should be renamed
41 "gentoo-rants-and-complains". We are not reading about future projects of
42 Gentoo on this ML these days but rather people's feelings: Bob said something
43 to Alice and Alice started crying.
44
45 This is what this ML is about now.
48 Patrice Clement