From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Cc: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>, Gokturk Yuksek <gokturk@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items -- council meeting 2019-04-14
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2019 12:47:37
1 On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 3:28 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 15:27 +0900, Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
4 > > The 04/10/2019 07:59, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
5 > > > > > > > > On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
6 > > > > > > > > On Tue, 09 Apr 2019, Gokturk Yuksek wrote:
7 > > > > I'd like to (informally) propose the following, for which I'm willing
8 > > > > to formulate as a GLEP proposal if there is interest:
9 > > > > The Foundation has an established practice of storing the legal names
10 > > > > of developers who join under a pseudonym. The infrastructure is
11 > > > > already in place for this. I think that allowing these developers to
12 > > > > commit using their pseudonyms as long as the Foundation is informed
13 > > > > their real identity does not exacerbate the legal risks they already
14 > > > > pose. The foundation may decide their arbitrary criteria on who is
15 > > > > eligible for this type of protection, including requiring sound legal
16 > > > > reasons for them to keep their identities hidden. I understand that
17 > > > > the maintenance of this could be a burden for the Foundation in
18 > > > > theory, but in practice I suspect this number is very low already.
19 > > >
20 > > > That doesn't work, because there would be no way for a person outside
21 > of
22 > > > the Foundation to verify such identities.
23 > > >
24 > > There is no way also for foundation to check all sign-off are assigned
25 > > to real legal names.
26 > >
27 > > > To clarify, I won't be opposed against making a specific exception and
28 > > > "grandfathering" any devs who had commit access before the cut-off date
29 > > > when GLEP 76 was implemented.
30 > > >
31 > >
32 > > I propose foundation to vote for add the use of pseudonym in the GLEP 76.
33 > > For keeping Gentoo a confortable and inclusive place.
36 > If Foundation decides to arbitrarily change a policy that's been
37 > initially approved both by Council and Foundation, then I propose that
38 > the Council rejects changes to the policy and blocks such contributions.
39 >
40 > Furthermore, I will propose that we actively pursue removing Foundation
41 > from Gentoo as apparently Trustees once again are trying to abuse
42 > the power that they've only gotten because nobody else wanted to take
43 > legal risk from negligence of previous Boards.
46 I want to separate talking about things (which is happening on this thread)
47 and actually making and passing foundation motions (which doesn't happen on
48 this list, but does happen on bugzilla.) Alice is in fact a board member
49 (as am I!) and should be free to talk about whatever she likes here.
50 Talking about something is different than "the trustees apparently once
51 again abusing their power." Talking about a concept, even a controversial
52 one, is not an abuse of power; its a free exchange of ideas.
53
54 -A
57 > --
58 > Best regards,