From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Merging Trustees and Council / Developers and Foundation
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 05:36:01
1 On 01/06/2017 02:43 AM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2017, 16:02:57 CET schrieb Matthew Thode:
3 >>
4 >> I think that this brings us more in line with the legal realities of
5 >> running a distro like this. We may want to be separate but don't think
6 >> that's actually the case. So we should stop pretending we are separate.
7 >
8 > Well, that would probably merit looking around how other distros are working.
9 >
10 > Without doing any detailed research, I'd say
11 > * OpenSuSE, Fedora: "community branch" of a commercial enterprise
12 > * Debian, Arch: via umbrella company (SPI)
13 >
14 > So none of these uses the suggested model.
15 >
16 I hadn't thought of that. Looking past the obvious shortcomings of
17 trusting a commercial entity to foster the community, are there any
18 corporations that have the know-how and resources to throw at Gentoo?
19 Who could be a worthy sponsor? Without a suitable candidate, it's hard
20 for us to seriously consider sponsorship. And of course, that decision
21 would be made on a case-by-case basis.
22
23 To clarify, I'm against a commercial sponsor but am interested in
24 learning who, if anyone, could be considered good enough to be our steward.
27 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
28 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
29 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6