From: Rich Freeman <rich@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 13:16:27
1 On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I think that the current version is just fine. QA should take care of
4 > the tree, and any developer issues should be handled by Comrel.
7 Tend to agree. Are there situations where the current policy has been
8 inadequate? I am fine with giving QA teeth, but if they effectively
9 have them already it isn't so much of a problem.
10
11 If we do make a change I suggest changing:
12 +* Any QA team lead decision can be revoked by major opposing vote
13 from all current QA members. Given the nature of this action new
14 elections should be held within 1 month to elect a new QA team lead.
15
16 I think there are better ways of dealing with an out-of-control QA
17 lead. First, Council should just be able to remove them if this is
18 the case. Second, Council did confirm the QA lead, and the Council
19 didn't confirm any of the other QA members, so in the event of a
20 disagreement do we really want to back the others? Third, if the QA
21 lead can add/remove members from the team at-will, then they really
22 aren't any kind of independent check on authority. I think it is
23 healthier if the team works more like a team and less like a
24 self-oversight board, and in the truly exceptional case where
25 oversight is needed, well, we have the Council already.
26
27 Rich