From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Date-of-birth in developer applications
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 08:32:33
1 W dniu śro, 20.06.2018 o godzinie 10∶24 +0200, użytkownik Kristian
2 Fiskerstrand napisał:
3 > On 06/20/2018 10:16 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
4 > > However, I'm not aware of any good
5 > > justification for collecting this kind of personal information.
6 >
7 > Immediately I can think of two good reasons for this information, (i) as
8 > a disambiguifier for matching names, at least across europe it is common
9 > to refer to an individual "A born DD.MM.YYYY",
10
11 Please tell me, how many times did we have to disambiguate two
12 developers using the same name? Even if we ever have to do that, do you
13 really think we'd use one's birthday all over the place?
14
15 > (ii) verify legal age for
16 > entering into agreements. One can argue that without further
17 > verification of (ii) it has less value, but at least that would be a
18 > misrepresentation so shifting the question a bit if it ever becomes an
19 > issue with FLA/DCO etc.
20
21 a. 'Legal age' may differ per country, so birth date alone is not very
22 useful.
23
24 b. There is no reason to store the full birth date if all we need is
25 a boolean whether someone is of 'legal age'.
26
27 c. We don't even have any clue what to do if someone is *not* of 'legal
28 age'.
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny