From: "Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto" <jmbsvicetto@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 06:48:42
1 On Sun, 15 Feb 2015, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 <snip>
4
5 > Then you have the core infra. This is stuff where infra spends the
6 > bulk of its time. As I understand it some of the hardware is
7 > Gentoo-owned, and some of it is owned by sponsors who provide infra
8 > access to it. Almost all of this stuff has a sponsor providing
9 > hosting/network/power/etc, and generally if a disk dies or whatever it
10 > ends up being an employee of a sponsor or such who swaps stuff out for
11 > us (perhaps with us sending them the hardware to swap with).
12 > Sponsor-provided stuff tends to have the bulk of the costs paid by
13 > sponsors. Gentoo-owned stuff tends to have the money come from
14 > Gentoo, which comes from our many donors (lots of individuals, and
15 > Google Summer of Code is a big source of income I believe even after
16 > expenses). Recently Gentoo has been kicking in for some of the costs
17 > at one of our sponsors, but they kick in a fair bit themselves.
18 >
19 > So, quite a bit of labor comes from volunteers. However, the "paid
20 > for" bit largely comes down to our sponsors, augmented by numerous
21 > small donations from within the community.
22
23 > All that said, I honestly don't consider the risk of one of our
24 > sponsors "censoring" us is all that likely unless Gentoo as a
25 > community really got out of hand (such that being associated with us
26 > were damaging to their reputations). The more realistic risk with our
27 > model is that individual sponsors can come and go - maybe a sponsor
28 > gets bought out or goes out of business or just is having hard times
29 > and can't afford to support us any longer. This happens on occasion,
30 > and obviously we try to be gracious about it since they ARE donors
31 > (usually they work with us on migration too). However, my sense is
32 > that most/all of our infra is hand-built servers running on bare
33 > metal, which means that moving services around involves a lot of
34 > labor. It isn't like copying a disk image to a new VM provider and
35 > cutting over DNS, let alone something like puppet/chef/ansible.
36
37 The infra team maintains an internal wiki for our job. Our systems are
38 installed from an infra built stage4, following some docs, but this is
39 done by different people over time.
40 We do rely "heavily" on two configuration management systems. The older
41 one, cfengine, has been in use for many years. Sometime ago we started
42 migrating to puppet. We've currently still migrating services to puppet.
43 We use some git repositories for specific areas such as dns or for our
44 infra overlay.
45
46 > As we build out new infra services (whether they be git, gitlab, or
47 > whatever) it would be really nice if the server configs (minus
48 > credentials) could be open. That would make it far easier for others
49 > to contribute to them, automate their deployment, and so on. There
50 > really shouldn't be any reason that somebody shouldn't be able to set
51 > up their own gentoo.org with everything but the domain name. Sure, we
52 > won't get there overnight, but it is a direction that makes sense. We
53 > just don't have the manpower to be excluding potential contributions.
54
55 We're already using cfengine / puppet for this. We need to review / split
56 service definitions before we can make it public, though.
57
58 Regards,
59 Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto
60 Gentoo Developer