From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-project] [PSA]: Please submit funding requests.
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 17:32:32
1 The TL;DR is that the Foundation has significant money[0] to spend on
2 improving Gentoo.
3
4 Gentoo Foundation Inc. has spent over 10 years raising and holding money
5 for Gentoo. In the past, funding requests have been few and far between
6 (typically 2-3 requests per year.) We have more money than expenses in most
7 fiscal years. This means that we have significant money to spend in support
8 of the Gentoo Community and we are looking for useful ways to spend it.
9
10 Some may ask, why does the board not spend money itself? The answer
11 nominally lies in the Gentoo Foundation founding documents; the board is
12 not allowed to directly influence the development of Gentoo. As president
13 of the board, I mostly take this as a "requests to spend money should come
14 from the community, not from the board." This is why I am sending this
15 mail; to make a more official explicit request to spend money.
16
17 -A
18
19 [0] Specifically, we have approximately $160,000 in cash equivalents. I
20 don't expect to spend it all, but I'm trying to provide some idea to the
21 community of available capital. No idea is too big or small, etc.