From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: [gentoo-dev] ChangeLog generation - pros and cons (council discussion request)
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2011 18:15:22
On 19:42 Tue 09 Aug     , Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 09-08-2011 12:32:57 -0500, Donnie Berkholz wrote: > > > > Yeah, that's already on my draft agenda [1]. =) But we should still have > > > > a small set of options to choose from if we do vote to automate, so we > > > > don't sit around for another month or discuss it aimlessly for hours. > > > > Being prepared is what I'm hoping we can do here. > > > > > > Ok, then I suggest simply adding ", don't bother about changes between > > > CVS log and ChangeLog" to both of your options. > > > > I guess I don't understand something here. If we aren't retroactively > > changing existing ChangeLogs, and we're autogenerating things in the > > future, where would these changes come from? > > so you want to retain all existing ChangeLogs?
Seems like a better idea to me, although it's not originally mine. Old commit messages weren't written with the knowledge or intent that anyone would be reading them, except maybe a dev or two, so we might lose a lot of information. If/when we switch to git, we might want to reconsider that, since all the handwritten messages will be old, largely irrelevant history by then. -- Thanks, Donnie Donnie Berkholz Council Member / Sr. Developer Gentoo Linux Blog: