From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council meeting 2015-01-13: call for agenda items
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 02:23:06
1 Rich Freeman:
2 > On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 2:34 PM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Anthony G. Basile:
4 >>>
5 >>> I'd like to add a discussion on glep 39. In particular, under
6 >>> specifications we have:
7 >>>
8 >>> "It may have one or many leads, and the leads are selected by the
9 >>> members of the project. This selection must occur at least once every 12
10 >>> months, and may occur at any time."
11 >>>
12 >>
13 >> That requirement imposes a specific structure on projects. There are
14 >> ways to have a functional project without any lead.
15 >>
16 >> So that phrase should be removed altogether.
19 > I think we need to step back and think about why we have projects.
20 > The whole point of projects is to have something in-between the
21 > Council and anything-goes. So, if you want to know whether doing xyz
22 > is acceptable for Python modules, you can ask the Python project. If
23 > you REALLY disagree you can then complain to the Council, but they're
24 > probably going to just side with the Python project since that is the
25 > whole reason for having a Python project.
26 >
27 > Well, since projects are inanimate concepts you can't actually ask
28 > them questions - you need people to talk for them. So, if 3 people on
29 > the Python project say one thing, and 3 others say something else,
30 > then what IS the opinion of the Python project? To settle that we
31 > have project leads.
34 No, you don't need a project lead. You can just say any member can speak
35 for the whole project at any time. Whether that works or not, is a
36 different thing, but it's a valid model.
37 Decisions can be reached by whatever method you want, with or without a
38 lead.
39
40 What matters is that the project is _functional_ and _responsive_. How
41 they do that should be up to the and should not be specified anywhere.
42
43 > I think that some of what sparked this question is that some projects
44 > are fairly non-responsive, and devs don't feel at liberty to make
45 > commits to packages under the authority of that project. IMHO the
46 > simplest solution here is to tell people to just announce their
47 > changes and go ahead and make them if there are no objections. The
48 > onus has to be on the person blocking change to prevent it, unless we
49 > want to fossilize. Of course, anybody can always go to the Council
50 > for help, but the point isn't to micromanage every little decision
51 > anybody wants to make.
54 Yeah, that's your diplomatic approach, but it doesn't work.