From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items - Council meeting 2013-09-10
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:33:15
1 On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 19:17:32 +0200
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > El jue, 29-08-2013 a las 08:22 -0700, Jack Morgan escribió:
5 > [...]
6 > > This is a confusing. What is the real problem you are trying to
7 > > solve here? Stable @system but not having to worry about keywording
8 > > anything else.. like a desktop (gnome, KDE)?
11 > At least from a gnome perspective, we are having some important delays
12 > with some arches:
13 >
14 > ...
15 >
16 > But this is only my impression, maybe some of this arches are more
17 > active in other Gentoo areas.
18
19 Let's run it across the whole Portage tree; I'm searching for bugs with
20 STABLEREQ keyword, that are still open, have an empty "Depends On" field
21 and have the arch CC-ed:
22
23 alpha: 54 bugs.
24 arm: 28 bugs.
25 amd64: 61 bugs.
26 hppa: 2 bugs.
27 ia64: 61 bugs.
28 m68k: No bugs.
29 ppc64: 58 bugs.
30 ppc: 36 bugs.
31 s390: 47 bugs.
32 sh: 86 bugs.
33 sparc: 78 bugs.
34 x86: 75 bugs.
35
36 Surprisingly, nothing really stands out; but those are absolute
37 numbers, let's see what happens if we make them proportional. For this
38 I am going to base myself on http://www.akhuettel.de/gentoo-bugs/kw.php
39 where I simply take the amount of thousands and divide above numbers by
40 it, which gives us:
41
42 alpha: 54 / 10 = 5.4
43 arm: 28 / 10 = 2.8
44 amd64: 61 / 34 = 1.8
45 hppa: 2 / 9 = 0.2
46 ia64: 61 / 9.5 = 6.4
47 m68k: 91 / 2.4 = 37.9
48 ppc64: 58 / 12.5 = 4.6
49 ppc: 36 / 19 = 1.9
50 s390: 47 / 5.4 = 8.7
51 sh: 86 / 6 = 14.3
52 sparc: 78 / 12 = 6.5
53 x86: 75 / 34 = 2.2
54
55 So, what we get here now actually shows us how well the arch does
56 stabilization compared to the amount of ebuilds that the particular arch
57 has; of course, this doesn't take into account bugs that list resolved
58 "depends on" and also doesn't take into account when ebuilds are punted
59 although I don't really feel that those should matter.
60
61 People that want to see better statistics are free to improve the search
62 results to take into account bugs with solely resolved "depends on" bugs
63 as well as to exclude recent bugs if they feel like; as for the amount
64 of ebuilds you could opt to use the amount of packages.
65
66 So, lower numbers are better; so, let's sort them according to that.
67
68 hppa 0.2
69 ppc 1.9
70 amd64 2
71 x86 2.2
72 arm 2.8
73 alpha 5.4
74 ia64 6.4
75 ppc64 6.4
76 sparc 6.5
77 s390 8.7
78 sh 14.3
79 m68k 37.9
80
81 So, first we see hppa; I often see that stabilized quite fast if I CC
82 them, kudos to them! Nice to see the statistics here reflect this.
83
84 Then we have the major arches ppc, amd64, x86, arm; yup, seems right.
85 The difference between ppc, amd64 and x86 seems quite small even.
86
87 And then, we see all the arches that people here consider minor as a
88 big group follow up; there's a group around 6 (ia64, ppc64, sparc,
89 s390) and a group that's somewhat behind around 25 (sh and m68k).
90
91 These last arches are the ones listed, except for ppc64; there was the
92 "(maybe ppc and ppc64?)" question; well, I would say that ppc at least
93 doesn't seem like a minor arch to me. ppc64 looks to be among them.
94
95 So, based on these results I think we should somehow split it up and
96 turn it into two votes, kinda like this:
97
98 Vote 1: Do we drop stable keywords for m68k, sh and s390?
99
100 Rationality: These fall under the original reasoning of this thread.
101
102 Vote 2: Do we drop stable keywords for alpha, ia64, ppc64 and sparc?
103
104 Rationality: Do we (as Gentoo) want to focus on more major arches in a
105 way that we don't have minor arches block them? What do we want to
106 pursue? Broader support? Or rather making just the major arches perfect?
107
108 I think it would be nice to discuss this last bit as well as see the
109 Council clarify what we really want to pursue here. This isn't so much
110 a question about whether to take work away from people doing a bad job;
111 this is actually more a question of what we want to see people do.
112
113 Also, is dropping stable keywords really the right choice? Can we take
114 other measures perhaps? Make a canonical resource for arch testing?
115 Make the process easier to become one? ... (see prev ML thread for more)
116
117 We're talking too much about the problem (problematic arches); I think
118 we should talk more about possible solutions (reviving arches), and
119 perhaps we need to create even more resources (eg. an archmanual)
120 and easier and faster scripts and tools. Although CPU cycles are free...
121
122 (Please assume good faith; I don't want to call a particular arch or
123 what a particular arch does bad, I just want to see a sane solution)
126 With kind regards,
127
128 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
129 Gentoo Developer
130
131 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
132 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
133 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D