From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] call for agenda items, council meeting Mar 12
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 18:17:16
1 >>>>> On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, Mike Gilbert wrote:
2
3 >> d) Should git expansion of $Id$ be enabled (i.e., ident in git
4 >> attributes)?
5
6 > If $Id$ is to be kept, I think point "d" needs further clarification:
7 > in what contexts should ident expansion be enabled?
8
9 > At rsync generation time?
10
11 > In the development repo? (via .gitattributes).
12
13 > Enabling expansion in some places but not others may cause some issues
14 > that would necessitate further work to prevent "$Id: xxxxxxx $"
15 > strings from being committed in the development repo accidentally.
16 > This might mean a repoman check and/or a git hook.
17
18 Right, there are many paths to insanity there. That's why we should get
19 rid of the whole thing altogether.
20
21 A content tracker should faithfully keep track of the files committed,
22 but not modify their contents. Even CVS didn't reduce $Id: something$
23 to $Id$, but kept the original version in the repository [1].
24
25 Ulrich
26
27 [1] http://cvsman.com/cvs-1.12.12/cvs_99.php#SEC99