From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Call for agenda items -- Council meeting 2013-01-08
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 15:32:35
1 Am Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2012, 14:37:37 schrieb Michał Górny:
2 >
3 > a) adding new profiles which will require EAPI=5 and requiring all
4 > users to migrate to them after upgrading portage. Using new
5 > use.stable.mask files in those profiles.
6 >
7 > b) adding new profiles (with current EAPIs) and requesting our unstable
8 > users to migrate to them. Masking the relevant USE flags globally
9 > and unmasking in those profiles.
10 >
11 > c) 'fixing' the use.stable.mask feature and wording it in such a way
12 > that it would apply to EAPI 5 (or 6) packages independently of profiles
13 > EAPI.
16 As the original proponent of the .stable.mask files, I'd recommend solution
17 c). This is what I intended to achieve in the beginning; I accepted to place
18 this into a new profile EAPI after I saw no chance of it going into PMS
19 otherwise.
20
21 According to PMS, profile directories may contain files not recognized by the
22 package manager. A package manager that does not understand the stable.mask
23 files will thus -if PMS-compliant- just ignore them.
24
25 Solutions a) and b) have the big disadvantage that you will never ever be able
26 to use the stable.mask files in the main profile directory or the base profile
27 (since there the main profile EAPI setting will apply also in the future).
28 Other disadvantages have also been discussed.
31 Andreas K. Huettel
32 Gentoo Linux developer
33 dilfridge@g.o
34 http://www.akhuettel.de/