From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-project@l.g.o, gentoo-scm@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Council / Git Migration Agenda
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2014 07:15:25
1 Dnia 2014-10-03, o godz. 20:00:24
2 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > Starting a new thread for discussion:
5 >
6 > On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 7:06 PM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
7 > > Dnia 2014-10-01, o godz. 13:30:55
8 > > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> napisał(a):
9 > >
10 > >> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
11 > >> > If you'd like to contribute another agenda item, please reply to this email.
12 > >>
13 > >> I'll offer up a further topic for the git migration.
14 > >
15 > > I think that there are a few issues that the Council may actually want
16 > > to discuss.
17 >
18 > I was thinking of an additional item also worth consideration.
19 >
20 > So far the general plan has tended to be that we would do a full
21 > historical git migration, and the last commit would just be the active
22 > tree, which would then be further cleaned up (remove cvs headers,
23 > changelogs, switch to thin manifests, etc).
24 >
25 > I was thinking that it might make more sense to just make things
26 > really simple and ONLY migrate the active tree into the starting git
27 > repository. That is, basically take the rsync tree, remove metadata,
28 > and do a git init. (Then follow that up with removing changelogs,
29 > cleaning up cvs headers, and so on.)
30
31 Not rsync, 'cvs up -dP [-kk]'. rsync has a lot of cruft and out-of-repo
32 experiences. Using cvs directly gives us better guarantees about match
33 between full conversion & snapshot.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny