From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [pre-GLEP RFC] New GLEP: Gentoo OpenPGP Authority Keys
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 14:39:14
1 Overall, really good - just have a few comments for consideration
2 regarding expiration management.
3
4 On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 9:13 AM Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
5 >
6 > +Whenever an old signature expires, a new one is automatically created.
7
8 Unless this is just intended as loose wording, I'd suggest extending
9 expirations before keys expire, that way if keyservers are
10 inaccessible or users are offline there isn't as much exposure to a
11 period of non-validity.
12
13 Perhaps renew signatures a month prior to expiry, assuming the key has
14 remaining validity beyond the expiration date.
15
16 > +The L2 Authority Keys are used directly to sign developer keys. Since
17 > +they are used in an automated service, they are exposed to attacks.
18 > +They are trust-signed by the L1 key and can be revoked and rotated more
19 > +frequently than the L1 key.
20
21 If we're going to rotate the L2 keys, then likewise I'd consider
22 managing a period of overlapping validity. That is:
23
24 1. Generate new L2 key and sign with L1 when L2 has at least 30 days
25 expiry remaining.
26 2. Re-sign all dev keys with new L2 key and use the L2 key
27 exclusively going forward.
28 3. Wait 30 days.
29 4. Revoke old L2 key, or allow to expire. Destroy or archive old L2
30 private key.
31
32 This could be trivially implemented by simply not expiring the old L2
33 key and replacing it a month before it expires, and set the new L2
34 expiration in line with the rotation strategy.
35
36 Rationale:
37 a. Again, keyservers sometimes are offline, or users are offline, so
38 overlapping validity means that users are less exposed to invalid
39 signatures during an instantaneous transition period.
40 b. No need to continue to sign with the old L2 key during the
41 transition since users would get the new L2 key at the same time that
42 they would have gotten any new signatures made by the old key.
43
44 My comment is not intended to argue for/against the need for L2 key
45 rotation in the first place, just suggest that it be managed in a more
46 graceful manner if it is performed.
47
48 I also acknowledge that these comments might be more granular than
49 intended by the GLEP and suitably generic wording is fine, or perhaps
50 the original GLEP was already intended to be inclusive of this option.
53 Rich