From: Dean Stephens <desultory@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Gentoo, GitHub, and the Social Contract
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2015 23:40:36
1 On 02/18/15 13:47, hasufell wrote:
2 > Matt Turner:
3 >> On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 9:56 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> Are you saying you only share the code with your buddies? In that case,
5 >>> it is against our social contract as well.
6 >>
7 I have not shared the code in question with anyone at all, I also happen
8 to have never been on the team that wrote, maintains, and uses is.
9
10 Knowing a claim is false does not automatically make one the subject of it.
11 >>> Not only that, it is even a serious security problem since the developer
12 >>> community doesn't know how these things are packaged and neither do the
13 >>> users.
14 >>
15 >> There's a serious security problem if they were to release the scripts
16 >> (passwords and all) right this second.
19 > This statement makes me wonder if you really understand opensource (or
20 > even free software).
21 >
22 > Maybe the recruitment quizzes need to be fixed in this regard.
23 >
24 While embedding authorization tokens in a script is not exactly in
25 keeping with best practices, implying that the only concern in
26 publishing a script which you have been told includes such tokens is
27 your own desire for it to be published is at best ignorant. As such, you
28 would appear to be in dire need of basic information security training.