From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-project <gentoo-project@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: What should the default acceptable licenses be?
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2019 19:40:18
1 On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 6:49 PM Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On 1/26/19 10:04 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
4 > > I would like to point the community at the following bug
5 > > https://bugs.gentoo.org/676248:
6 > > Bug 676248 - non-free licenses are accepted without user prompt
7 > >
8 > > In summary the question is whether non-free licenses should be accepted
9 > > by default in Gentoo. today only licenses requiring EULA are not
10 > > accepted by default. So this is a good opportunity to discuss whether we
11 > > should deviate substantially from other distros like Debian.
12 > >
13 > > My personal opinion is we should have a default accepting FSF and OSI
14 > > approved free/libre licenses and require acceptance for anything else
15 > > though package.license / ACCEPT_LICENSE. Since we have this model
16 > > already we don't need a separate repository like debian does for its
17 > > binary packages, so any change has relatively minor impact on our users
18 > > as long as it is presented properly and with a proper timeline.
21 > This topic has been discussed from time to time, including in 2013 in
22 >
23 > https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-project/message/b36af97cdf6172217974a3afb30475bd
24 > . However, context change and 6 years is likely enough time to permit a
25 > new discussion.
26 >
27 > What constitute free software is a broad discussion, so for the context
28 > of these discussions I recommend we keep to the FSF and OSI definitions.
29 > These definitions protects the user's rights to copy/modify/use the
30 > application without repercussions, and that is exactly why it should be
31 > the default license.
34 So I think the TL;DR for me here is that I'd rather the Council have
35 decided that "We interpret the social contract in a way whereby Gentoo
36 should espouse free software and we believe we can do better here by
37 setting the default ACCEPT_LICENSE to "-* @FREE". I think some of your
38 comments below go further than that and I'm not sure that helps your case
39 (and at least the comments concern me slightly.)
40
41 I believe that irrespective of any ideology that @FREE does provide
42 benefits, namely that:
43 - The OSI and FSF are stewards of the OSD and they will vet and review
44 licenses that meet the OSD. This is beneficial to end users who want a
45 vetted and controlled licensing experience for such software.
46 - Users trust the OSI and FSF (and by extension, licenses@g.o, who
47 populate the in-tree copy) with this task.
48
49 Delegation is a useful tool that removes the burden from users who would
50 have to vet on their own.
53 > As soon as a user start using a non-free license the user needs to
54 > make judgments on how it will impact on further choice, and likely need
55 > to consult a lawyer for practicality if using it in any commercial context.
58 > In particular in a scenario where the license change unexpectedly this
59 > can be an interesting twist, as seen with MongoDB. To quote
62 > http://lists.opensource.org/pipermail/license-review_lists.opensource.org/2018-October/003739.html
63 > :
64 > "Developers don’t always pay attention and given they have stated any
65 > updates to older versions moving forward are SSPL a developer just
66 > grabbing a security update suddenly means you’re not under AGPL anymore
67 > but SSPL."
68 >
69 > The consequences for a user arise when using non-free licenses, so the
70 > default should be to allow free licenses by default.
73 I mostly don't find this argument valuable. OSI and FSF have consequences
74 to anyone who redistributes them, but somehow they are allowed by default
75 (because freedom?) This is why I continue to advocate for a deliberate
76 choice based on the social contract ("Gentoo is and will remain Free and
77 thus the default should be "-* @FREE" rather than some kind of objective
78 choice based on 'consequences'; which I think just muddle the point.
82 > A more puritan approach could be to not provide any approved license at
83 > all, but the Gentoo Social contract says "Gentoo is and will remain free
84 > software", which makes @FREE the natural choice.
87 I agree w/this FWIW.
91 > Most of the issues from the previous discussions have been solved by
92 > now, increasing the value of re-opening the discussion, and the
93 > user-impact is minimal for setting a default of @FREE given proper
94 > documentation in the handbook.
97 I'm going to re-iterate william's comment here in that I don't think the
98 council has a good idea of what the user impact is; however I suspect this
99 is not an intractable issue and I don't think it blocks any decision (and
100 as noted in the meeting, we can always make changes later.)
101
102 -A
106 > --
107 > Kristian Fiskerstrand
108 > OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
109 > fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3