From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Formally have Council oversee the Foundation 2.0
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2017 19:19:22
1 On Monday, January 16, 2017 1:19:49 PM EST Rich Freeman wrote:
2 >
3 > How would somebody sue "Gentoo" when Gentoo is just a trademark of
4 > SPI? There would be no legal entity called Gentoo to sue. That's the
5 > whole point. If somebody wants to sue SPI then that becomes SPI's
6 > problem, though obviously as a project we would cooperate with them to
7 > minimize this risk.
8
9 Rather than sue the SPI, any action would likely be taken directly against an
10 individual rather than go after the SPI for something Gentoo related.
11
12 I do not believe the SPI will provide any legal indemnification or protection
13 to Gentoo developers. The Gentoo Foundation can serve to indemnify, but making
14 the Foundation target of any legal action rather than the individual. With the
15 exception of criminal laws, as no entity can indemnify against criminal
16 charges.
17
18 There are many good reason to have a Gentoo Foundation. Legal protection of
19 the Developers via indemnification is just one.
22 William L. Thomson Jr.