From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] [RFC] More improvement-targeted approach to disciplinary actions (aka removing bans)
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2020 07:34:11
1 On Mon, 2020-07-27 at 10:27 +0300, Joonas Niilola wrote:
2 > On 7/24/20 11:22 PM, Michał Górny wrote:
3 > > Per the new process:
4 > >
5 > > 1. QA communicates with the dev, asks nicely.
6 > >
7 > > 2. If this fails, QA prepares a reasonable list of tasks to be done
8 > > (usually, fix a reasonable subset of the issues that provoked the QA
9 > > response). Of course, all guidance is provided as necessary and time
10 > > can be extended to account for developer's needs.
11 > >
12 > > 3. If the developer shows effort to solve the problem, case closed.
13 > > On the other hand, if he refuses to cooperate, QA requests ComRel to
14 > > remove commit access.
15 > >
16 > > To be honest, I don't think we need '1 strike'. The whole point is that
17 > > if the developer understands the problem and wants to fix it, then
18 > > the problem is solved and there's no harm done. On the other hand,
19 > > if the developer doesn't want to cooperate, then I don't really
20 > > understand the point of a 'second chance' (to do what? figure out a way
21 > > not to follow standards and stay under the radar?)
22 > >
23 > I like it. You changed straight retirement to losing one's commit
24 > access, I'd say it counts as the 1 strike. At least for me. You still
25 > retain your hardworked dev badge and can keep contributing more easily,
26 > but there's a burden of proof to provide to get your commit access back.
27 >
28 > What would be the process of getting it back by the way? Is it through
29 > Recruiters, QA or perhaps even Undertakers?
32 I suppose QA would confirm that the developer has done the requested
33 task and then Infra would grant it back.
34
35 Otherwise, I guess the dev retains dev status as long as he continues
36 contributing (via proxy?) or gets retired wrt normal procedures.
39 Best regards,
40 Michał Górny