From: "Christopher Díaz Riveros" <chrisadr@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Fwd: -dev list moderation
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:50:29
1 El dom, 22-04-2018 a las 18:31 -0400, Rich Freeman escribió:
2 > On Sun, Apr 22, 2018 at 6:12 PM, M. J. Everitt <m.j.everitt@×××.org> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I think there is definitely scope for a "UserRel" type team
5 >
6 > There used to be one in the past - it was merged with DevRel into
7 > ComRel. ComRel deals with the social aspects of community members
8 > working together/etc.
9 >
10 I was not aware of this aspect from ComRel, especially when in the wiki page
11 states:
12
13 "handles many personnel-related tasks, solving conflicts and also ensuring that
14 the Gentoo Code of Conduct and proper and professional behavior is followed
15 across Gentoo's borders."
16
17 To my understanding, this is more like a "problem solving" project rather than a
18 "first contact" project.
19
20 > If this is more about getting contributions into the tree, it seems
21 > like this is already more-or-less the mission of the proxy maintainers
22 > project. I'm not sure if we need a project just to point users to the
23 > other projects. We of course have IRC channels and the -user list as
24 > well, and forums/etc.
27 Agree on that, but what happens to people that do not know how exactly they want
28 to help? or don't want to specifically help with tree work? While our
29 documentation about contributing is good, it may be a bit overwhelming for
30 someone discovering Gentoo Linux. It may be good to have some supporting point
31 to all the documentation.
32
33 Talking about IRC, it was my understanding (as veremitz pointed) #gentoo is a
34 user support channel for the installation process, and that makes looking for
35 info about projects, or other related stuff off-topic...
36
37 > Maybe those who want to work more with new users making contributions
38 > should consider joining the proxy-maint team? Obviously those with
39 > commit access would be ideal, but non-committers could also help with
40 > helping users get their contributions into good shape/etc and to
41 > navigate the process?
42
43 Regards,
44 --
45 Christopher Díaz Riveros
46 Gentoo Linux Developer
47 GPG Fingerprint: E517 5ECB 8152 98E4 FEBC 2BAA 4DBB D10F 0FDD 2547