From: Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] rfc: copyright attribution clarifications
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 13:39:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I don't like playing the "work" card. I guess most of us are somehow
4 employed -- saying we need this *change* or we would risk to discourage
5 companies from allowing their employees to contribute to Gentoo on work
6 time must feel like a slap in the face:
7
8 Nobody had a problem with that before.
9
10 There's just *one* contributor at the moment, SIE, who wants to change
11 things ("taking the opportunity to revise previous permission to enforce
12 something new").
13
14 I disagree saying that this is general problem and we are discourage
15 companies from contributing to Gentoo due to that.
16
17 I agree with Rich saying
18
19 > IMO people who are only willing to contribute FOSS if their name gets
20 > put in a prominent location might do better to contribute elsewhere.
21
22 ...and even if you are unemployed or just contributing in your free time
23 your contribution has a value -- the same value like contributing during
24 work time! So if we start allowing copyright attribution we would have
25 to do that for *everyone*. Something I don't really want:
26
27 Ebuilds aren't like normal program code. Ebuilds are changing very
28 often. It will become a nightmare to track copyright to be able to
29 remove a line when this contributed code is no longer present and
30 therefore copyright attribution is no longer necessary nor correct.
31
32 It is also a question on its own if you can ever claim copyright for
33 things like ~1-10 lines of bash code (I guess we will never know because
34 nobody will ever go to court for 1-10 lines of bash code)...
38 Regards,
39 Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
40 C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5