From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-project@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-project] Re: Burden of proof
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 19:17:40
1 On 02/04/2018 20:33, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > In my experience Comrel looks to the Council for some level of
3 > guidance, but for the most part Council members who aren't in Comrel
4 > have no idea what specific cases they're working on unless there is an
5 > appeal. I don't think anybody is so beholden to their role on Comrel
6 > that they're quaking in fear at the idea of upsetting a Council
7 > member. The reality is that most elected to Council tend to be chosen
8 > because they aren't seen as letting grudges influence decisions, and
9 > most seem to regard Comrel as a pretty thankless job.
10
11 Not sure where this experience comes from.
12
13 Comrel is independent, its procedures are documented in the [wiki] page.
14 The Council interaction with Comrel is mainly related to long-term
15 actions appeals.
16
17 Comrel, as stated in on the [wiki] page and also many many many times
18 all over, focuses on defusing situations when possible.
19
20 Long-term disciplinary actions happen quite rarely since luckily our
21 community has people behaving decently and even short-term time-outs to
22 cool-off people aren't dished that often.
23
24 Given that we have to act with some additional level of secrecy mainly
25 to prevent having reporters enjoying some level of retaliation outside
26 Gentoo by the reported, I can understand there are a number of
27 assumptions and wild ideas being spun and run.
28
29 Please spend a little time to read the fine document :)
30
31 lu
32
33 [wiki]: https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:ComRel